Old April 14th 04, 09:47 PM
Win

Default ZS8MI

Looks like ZS8MI is headed home. Sure wish he would have found him on
CW. I just couldn't bring myself to work that list on 20 phone.

Win W0LZ

Old April 15th 04, 05:49 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Win wrote:
Looks like ZS8MI is headed home. Sure wish he would have found him on
CW. I just couldn't bring myself to work that list on 20 phone.

Shoot.

Luckily I had ZS2MI (which at the time was Marion) on 20 phone years ago.

It was a pretty good weekend for DX though - finished up 3B9C on eight
bands, T33C IIRC on the same number (looks like I've got two more days
to land some more bands) plus a QSO or two with ZK1UFF, 5W0SS, ZL7II,
and C21DL. Can't complain!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old April 15th 04, 12:42 PM
Win

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 04:49:53 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

Win wrote:
Looks like ZS8MI is headed home. Sure wish he would have found him on
CW. I just couldn't bring myself to work that list on 20 phone.

Shoot.

Luckily I had ZS2MI (which at the time was Marion) on 20 phone years ago.

It was a pretty good weekend for DX though - finished up 3B9C on eight
bands, T33C IIRC on the same number (looks like I've got two more days
to land some more bands) plus a QSO or two with ZK1UFF, 5W0SS, ZL7II,
and C21DL. Can't complain!

Yes, it was a good week, Doug. I also worked the 3B9 and TT3. But my
real winner was S9SS. I have been looking for Chad for years. Guess
that makes up for missing the ZS8. Considering where we are in the
cycle, it was a good week. I would like to get a ZL8 before the bands
go completely. But I have not read of anyone going in that direction.

Win WoLZ

Old April 15th 04, 03:37 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Win wrote:
Yes, it was a good week, Doug. I also worked the 3B9 and TT3. But my
real winner was S9SS. I have been looking for Chad for years. Guess
that makes up for missing the ZS8. Considering where we are in the
cycle, it was a good week. I would like to get a ZL8 before the bands
go completely. But I have not read of anyone going in that direction.

I really wanted TJ3G, and more bands out of the ZL7 & C21. It looks
like the TJ expedition is over and the ZL7/C21 seem to have been
weekend-only. Can't complain though.

I've worked Charles S9SS several times over the years & even exchanged
some email with him. (he reads my column in Monitoring Times)

Landed ZM8CW on 4 Nov 2000.

I think the Pacific will continue to be workable throughout the bottom
of the cycle. Maybe not on 10m, but certainly on 20 and probably 15.
This would, however, certainly not be the right time to activate VU4grin.

(which probably means someone *will* activate VU4 next year...)

Old April 15th 04, 04:43 PM
Win

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:37:31 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

Win wrote:
[...]

I am not to the point where I worry much about multiple bands. I still
have plenty to work all bands. I did work the T33 twice, though. He
was on 10 meters towards the last and getting not gettign much
activity. I couldnt resist.

I am going tol just stick to my play for a while. I get up early and
check the spots that are working Europe and then try to figure out
where they will be when the band opens here. Another part of that plan
is to fish a lot, HI.

I feel dumb. S9SS is not who I thought he was. When I heard him my
computer said he was a needed contact. He was needed but not who I
thought he was. TT is who I have been looking for. Now that I am
retired I will have more time to look.

Where can I get the Monitor Times?

Win

Old April 15th 04, 05:39 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Win wrote:
I am not to the point where I worry much about multiple bands. I still
have plenty to work all bands. I did work the T33 twice, though. He
was on 10 meters towards the last and getting not gettign much
activity. I couldnt resist.

Understood!

I'm within "shooting distance" of 5BDXCC - just need a few more QSLs on
80m - so I've been watching the expeditions for 80m activity. Been
messing around with RTTY too.

I am going tol just stick to my play for a while. I get up early and
check the spots that are working Europe and then try to figure out
where they will be when the band opens here. Another part of that plan
is to fish a lot, HI.

grin! (but really that's important. At least twice, I found T33C
before anybody spotted him. They're a lot easier to work that way!
Many years back, there was a well-publicized expedition to Clipperton.
One day on 10m, everybody & their brother was on the announced
Clipperton frequency trying to work the FO0. I decided to go tuning,
and found midway between the FO0's transmit and receive frequencies...

a TI9, CQing his head off without any answers. Worked on first call.)

thought he was. TT is who I have been looking for. Now that I am
retired I will have more time to look.

Didn't know there was a TT on. (wouldn't doubt it!) Will have to look.

Where can I get the Monitor Times?

Many newsstands carry it, or
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mt_dealers.html . I write "American
Bandscan", about domestic AM/FM/TV broadcasts.