Old June 1st 04, 02:05 PM
Dan

Default New DX Questions

I apologize for the simplicity of my questions:

Last night was my first real attempt to dx on 20 meters. I heard a
couple people calling CQ then QRZed allowing a number of stations to
identify. I heard some of the responses, but most were near
impossible to copy (The CQer was always 59). I put out my callsign
after every QRZed but never got a response. Is this normal or am I
having a problem getting my signal out? SWR is tuned to 1:1, my power
meter shows 100% TX power. Using an Icom 728 w/100W power.

I have a G5RV antenna cut to 20m in my attic, fed to a tuner.
Obviously, there isn't enough room for the ladder line to extend all
the way down, so most of it is just routed horizontally from one side
of my attic to another where it meets my RG58.

This brings up another question. When determining health risks (i.e.
how far away you should be from your antenna) does the ladder line or
coax count as part of the antenna, or just the radials?

Thanks for the help.

Dan