Old August 16th 04, 08:49 PM
Honus

Default Gene Scott, satellites and MW

I'm new to the hobby, so please bear with me.

I picked up a Gene Scott broadcast last night on MW at 1615 KHz. Here's the
info I found at his website:

http://www.drgenescott.com/swave.htm

THE CARIBBEAN BEACON
Anguilla, British West Indies
24 hours a day - 7 days a week

690 KHz AM

1610 KHz AM

I'm listening in Seattle, and I really don't think that I've DX'd the guy
all the way from the Caribbean. The signal isn't constant; it faded out just
like SW reception does. So my question is, just how did I hear this
broadcast? Scott uses satellites, but I imagine they're geo-synchronous and
so (I assume) the signal wouldn't fade. Is that true? Is retransmitting of
MW or FM band signals ever even done in the first place? And why did I
receive the signal at 1615 instead of 1610? Did I pick up a repeater of some
sort? I have more questions, but I think that from the ones I've just posed
that everyone can imagine what they are. Thanks in advance for your replies.

FWIW I'm using a Grundig S350, grounded, with a 75' random wire antenna.