Old September 5th 04, 08:30 AM
Louis C. LeVine

Default ARRL Walks Away From Bandwidth Restrictions

The Newsline says that ARRL will give up its bandwidth restriction
idea. This is in the current news.

RESTRUCTURING: REACTING TO THE ARRL BANDWIDTH PROPOSAL

An ARRL proposal to restructure Amateur Radio along bandwidth lines
has caused a lot of discussion in the nations ham community. And it
may cause the League to rethink its position. Amateur Radio
Newsline's Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, is in Philadelphia, and has the
rest of the story:

--

Shortly after the ARRL began circulating the proposal and posted it
on its website, the e-mails, phone calls, HF, VHF, and digital-mode

And now, Amateur Radio Newsline has learned the bandwidth proposal
may be tabled for more study when the ARRL's executive committee
meets next month.

That confirmation comes from W6OBB in Nevada. If the call sign isn't
familiar, the name behind it might be. He's Art Bell, host of the
weekend edition of "Coast to Coast AM" heard on more than 500
commercial radio stations across the nation.

Bell, who joined the fight against Broadband Over Powerlines several
months ago, and featured the subject on his radio program, expressed
concern about what he called a Draconian proposal that would over-
regulate the ham bands. Bell tells me he relayed that concern in a
phone call to ARRL President Jim Haynie W5JBP.

Bell characterizes the discussion as cordial and at the end, he says
Haynie related he was re-evaluating the proposal based on many
comments he had received.

"He indicated to me and told me I could pass on to you that they're
looking into pulling this whole thing back and taking a harder look
at it," Bell says.

While Bell says he believes the ARRL had good intentions with the
proposal, it may have gone too far.

"What began as an examination by the League of how we could possibly
encourage the digital mode, it went a little too far and began to
over-regulate," Bell says. "I'd kind of like to see it go the other
way and I'd like to see our bands freed up."

Haynie says he's gotten a lot of feedback on the proposal. He says it
came from the League's desire to promote - not restrict - innovation
and experimentation. He says it was also a response the Federal
Communications Commission's desire to see more innovation from the
ham community.

"I think we rose to the challenge," Haynie says. "We have
demonstrated Software Defined Radio that just knocked their socks
off, in my view.

"We have come up with some other stuff - Joe Taylor and some of his
things for moon bounce. And I think the Amateur Radio community
needed a wake-up call is what they needed and I think that's what
we've gotten and were given."

Haynie says it's clear the digital modes like RTTY and PSK 31 need
attention.

"Where do we want to go to the future?" Haynie asks. "And, as I
mentioned a couple of years ago, I took my model 28ASR and took it
to the scrap man. But that's the standard that's used today is 850Hz
shift at 45 baud.

"Well, we don't do too much of that. I'm not saying there's not RTTY
enthusiasts out there, there are and I appreciate that and I know
that and I want to protect their rights to do those things."

Art Bell says he and others don't object to digital innovation. But
he doesn't think the proposal hits the mark.

"There are many with differing interests who are not too pleased with
the proposal and, on the face of it, it simply does not make sense,"
Bell says. "I agree that we should encourage the digital modes and
development, but we shouldn't try to push something into place that
is not techincally ready to happen yet."

Restricting bandwidth, Bell says, won't promote innovation.

"Why do we have to cut and slice and dice and regulate," Bell says.
Why not just let anybody virtually go anywhere and let all of us just
live together with some gentlemen's agreements which we have now and
which work very, very well on most bands?

"So with that in mind, look at the Canadians. The Canadians have a
6khz limit and they can go anywhere on the band they want from the
bottom to the top. And I don't see why that would not apply and work
well in America."

Haynie says he wants to hear more from hams and he's encouraging all
of us to get into the FCC's Part 97 rules and share input on the
proposal at the ARRL's website, that's ARRL-dot-org.

"Look at the rule book and see what's there now, "Haynie says. "And,
is there something that could be changed that would allow a new
technology to be developed, then that's what we want to know."

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, in
Philadelphia.

--

More on the ARRL proposal and reaction to it in upcoming Amateur
Radio Newsline reports. (ARNewsline(tm))
Old September 7th 04, 12:29 AM
John Kasupski

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:43:43 -0400, "KWM442X" wrote:

ARRL, of by and for the former CB and now ham
appliance operator.

ARRL, a dying organization, whose officials will grab all
the money they can before ARRL finally goes belly up.

ARRL loves suckers who keep mailing in membership
dues to a do nothing orgainization to line the pockets of
ARRL officials.

ARRL, an organization that screws ham operators at
every turn, if it means putting another dime in the pocket
of ARRL officials.

Send your dues in suckers!

Since most of us in this newsgroup are fully aware that almost all of
the ARRL officials are volunteers and work for free, you have
succeeded only in exposing yourself as the ignorant troll that you
obviously are.

Nice try...and now it is my pleasure to cordially invite you to try
the rec.radio.cb newsgroup, where you will fit in much better and
might even become a respected regular, given enough time.

John Kasupski, Tonawanda, New York
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), SWL/Scanner Monitoring (KNY2VS)
ARRL WNY PIO
http://www.qsl.net/kc2fng
E-Mails Ignored, Please Post Replies In This Newsgroup

Old September 7th 04, 06:52 PM
John Kasupski

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:29:24 -0700, Bill Turner
wrote:

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:43:43 -0400, "KWM442X" wrote:

ARRL, of by and for the former CB and now ham
appliance operator.

ARRL, a dying organization, whose officials will grab all
the money they can before ARRL finally goes belly up.

ARRL loves suckers who keep mailing in membership
dues to a do nothing orgainization to line the pockets of
ARRL officials.

ARRL, an organization that screws ham operators at
every turn, if it means putting another dime in the pocket
of ARRL officials.

Send your dues in suckers!

_________________________________________________ ________

The quality of trolling on this newsgroup is getting worse every day.
What can be done to improve it? Troll schools? Troll certification?
Troll Elmers? What????

I agree. It's way too easy to become a troll these days. Back in the
old days, you had to learn DOS commands first. None of this
point-and-click crap that's so easy even a child could do it, you had
to learn how to type, you had to learn about filenames and extensions,
you had to learn how to use a keyboard. Today's trolls are spoiled
because all they have to do is click their little mouse. Windows is
going to be the end of trolling as we know it, mark my words. They
ought to bring back DOS. That's what separated the real McCoys from
the wanna-be's back in the good old days - DOS.

Besides, what happens in an emergency? Your computer crashes and
Windows won't boot, you need to know DOS in order to get in there and
fix it. These trolls of today don't know squat about DOS, and when
they end up trashing their Windows they have to haul their computer
off to a club meeting to get a REAL troll to fix it. DOS works when
nothing else will work, that's why they should never have gotten rid
of it. Windows just made the Apple and Commodore riffraff from years
ago think they are real computer users. Bring back DOS and let 'em all

73 de John, KC2HMZ, Tonawanda, NY

Disclaimer: Any apparent similarity to the code/no-code argument is
pure coincidence and is completely unintentional.

Old September 7th 04, 06:53 PM
John Kasupski

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:51:37 -0400, "KWM442X" wrote:

Send in your dues Sucker!

Already taken care of. I'm sure we can safely assume that your annual
dues to the United States CB Association have been paid in full?

John Kasupski, Tonawanda, New York
Amateur Radio (KC2HMZ), SWL/Scanner Monitoring (KNY2VS)
Member of ARES/RACES, ARATS, WUN, ARRL WNY PIO

Old September 7th 04, 09:33 PM
Mike Coslo

KWM442X wrote:

Send in your dues Sucker!

Smart as you are, you should be able to come up with something better.

Old September 7th 04, 09:33 PM
Mike Coslo

Old September 7th 04, 10:17 PM
Mike Coslo

Understood!

KWM442X wrote:
Send in your dues Sucker!

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

KWM442X wrote:

Send in your dues Sucker!

Smart as you are, you should be able to come up with something better.

ARRL Propose New License Class & Code-Free HF Access Lloyd Mitchell Antenna 43 October 26th 04 01:37 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1412 ­ September 3, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 September 4th 04 08:34 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1412 ­ September 3, 2004 Radionews Dx 0 September 4th 04 08:34 PM
To ALL DX! Me Dx 16 April 1st 04 06:52 AM
Antenna Restrictions -- What to Do ! Wilderness Keyboard Antenna 0 November 23rd 03 04:42 PM