Old October 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Radionews

Default Amateur Radio Newslineâ„¢ Report 1418 ÂÂ* October 15, 2004

Amateur Radio Newslineâ„¢ Report 1418 ÂÂ* October 15, 2004

Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1418 with a release date of
Friday, October 15, 2004 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a Q-S-T.

The FCC acts on B-P-L amd the IEEE readies a standard for Broadband
Over Powerline hardware. Find out the impact on ham radio on on
Amateur Radio Newsline report number 1418 coming your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here)

**

THE BPL FIGHT: THE FCC RELEASES ITS BPL REPORT AND ORDER

The FCC has acted to make Broadband Over Powerline a part of the
telecommunications landscape. Amateur Radio Newsline's Paul
Courson, WA3VJB, in Washington and Mark Abramovich, NT3V, in Philadelphia take
an in depth look at the FCC decision and its impact on Amateur
Radio:

-

FCC Michael Powell: "Would all members in favor of the item
signify
by saying aye? All those opposed? The item is adopted, thank you
very much (sound of gavel banging down)"

--

(WA3VJB report) Although several took note of interference concerns,
none of the Commissioners voted against the proposal, and only one

The system thet's been in the prototype stage for a while now uses
the power lines as a way to transmit and receive telemetry with
computers such as those used in the home. In sending that data over
the wiring in a house or on the poles outside, small amounts of
signal radiate and can cause interference to users of the same
frequencies BPL uses on the power grid.

The ham radio community, led by the research of ARRL laboratory
manager Ed Hare W1RFI, documented the potential for electrical noise
during this prototype and testing phase. The League submitted what
many consider alarming findings to the FCC as a protest and challenge
to the BPL proposal on ham radio's behalf.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copp addressed that point before he voted to
approve:

--

FCC Commissioner Michael Copp: "I remain concerned with the question
of interference to amateur radio users. I take the concerns of this

--

When Copp voted approval, his dissent focused only on whether there
were safeguards to keep utilities from using electricity revenue to

The proposal from FCC technical staff calls for interference
mitigation procedures, including an online public database to help
identify by zip code where BPL might be a source of interference, The
database also will name a contact person at the company running the
system in that zip code, to negotiate and resolve complaints.

Commissioner Copp said he hopes the processs will be quick:

--

FCC Commissioner Michael Copp: "If an amateur radio user makes a
complaint, and an agreement between the BPL provider and the amateur

--

FCC Chairman Michael Powell has been an early flag-waver for BPL, and
spent time leading up to the vote praising its potential as a

--

FCC Chairman Michael Powell: There are users of spectrum that are
affected by this. We've taken that seriously from the very beginning.

--

But then Powell returned to his celebration that BPL would soon
provide another way to bring high-speed data to the masses, citing

--

FCC Chairman Michael Powell: "Let me underscore that the
potential

--

For reaction to the FCC's approval of Broadband over Power Lines, we
turn to Mark Abramowicz, NT3V:

--

(NT3V report) For the American Radio Relay League, the FCC's
decision in the BPL proceeding wasn't a surprise.

The ARRL's leader says now, more than ever, amateur radio operators
will have to be vigilant about any BPL interference that appears and
be prepared to act with a complaint that could go all the way to the
FCC.

ARRL president Jim Haynie W5JBP says there were some encouraging
comments from commission members about the value of the Amateur Radio
service. And, for the first time, an admission from the panel that
BPL technology is far from perfect.

--

Jim Haynie, W5JBP: "You go back a year, a year and a half ago, there
was all this talk about: What interference? There is no

"So the commission now has finally realized that what we've been
saying all along does exist and I'm sure the N-T-I-A had a lot to do
with that, too."

--

Haynie says among the restrictions the FCC placed on the BPL
providers is establishing a database of utility and system operators

He says it appears that provision may have come out of the ARRL's
direct lobbying of commissioners.

--

Jim Haynie, W5JBP: "We've actually had personal meetings with a
number of the commissioners," Haynie says. "And Commissioner

"And these were all held in the past couple of months so it's fresh
on their mind. They know where we're coming from. That's what the
league has been doing on a direct basis rather than just file a
written petition or comments, which we did."

--

Haynie also credited the direct lobbying efforts aimed at members of
Congress - many of whom look favorably on the Amateur Radio service.

--

Jim Haynie, W2JBP: "They've made their feelings known to the
commission and while they support inexpensive broadband for America,

--

Finally, while Haynie says he'll reserve additional comment until
reading the full FCC document, he feels some sense of relief at what

--

Jim Haynie, W5JBP: "I know there's some detractors out there that
for whatever reason think the league probably lost and sold them down

"So I think we did a good job. Did we get what we want, no - not
entirely. But we also knew going in that you can't just say: 'I don't
want BPL at all.' It's going to be done in some form or fashion, now
the only question is how much?"

--

Over at CQ Magazine, Editor Rich Moseson, W2VU, is feverishly
studying what the FCC has done and what impact it will have on

He tells me the FCC's press release on the subject seems to
contradict the commissioners' assurances that interference mitigation
should be done in a timely fashion.

Moseson notes that in the same sentence such resolution of
interference problems would be done without disruptions of service to
BPL subscribers.

--

Rich Moseson, W2VU: "So, in other words, the users of this non-
licensed service have priority over licensed users," Moseson

--

Moseson says he's also concerned about the closing comments of FCC
Chairman Michael Powell that were not included in the public

--

Rich Moseson, W2VU: "He starts out practically pandering to hams and
then turns around and tells us not to stand in the way of progress,"

--

While sounding pessimistic, Moseson says we'll have to wait and see
what's in the actual FCC report and order.

With my colleague, Paul Courson in Washington, I'm Mark Abramowicz,
NT3V, in Philadelphia.

--

By the way, you'll find the audio comments made by some of the
commissioners as a Web Extra feature. You can find them by pointing

**

BREAK 1

From the United States of America, we are the Amateur Radio Newsline
heard on bulletin stations around the world, including the W3BN
repeater serving Reading, Pennsylvania.

(5 sec pause)

**

THE BPL FIGHT: IEEE READIES BPL STANDARD

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics and Engineers -- thats
the IEEE -- it has begun to develop standard 1675 for Broadband Over
Powerline hardware.

According to immformation at the organizations website, the scope of
this standard will be to provide Utilities and Manufacturers
standards for the commonly used hardware for BPL installations. Also
to provide standard installation, maintenance and operation methods
to ensure the safety of both Utility and Non-utility personnel
working on BPL equipment.

This project will not cover data transmission, protocols, or other
aspects of BPL related to the internal workings of this technology.
More information is on-line at http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/bop/
(IEEE)

**

THE BPL FIGHT: HAMS AND CB'ERS UNITE - DOWN UNDER

Still with Broadband Over Powerline issues, word that ACREM, the
Australian Citizens Radio Emergency Monitors, have joined the fight
against B-P-L. WIA Newsman Martin Howells, VK2UMJ, reports:

--

Following reports that the ACA may be considering the removal of
interference protection for some HF radio users, ACREM New South

This was followed up with a further submission lodged by e-mail
outlining the Japanese report that showed interference from BPL as
high as 300 MHz. Although ACREM is primarily a CB emergency
monitoring group, the interests of all radiocommunications users,
including amateur operators, is also a concern especially given the
potential safety-of-life issues of widespread interference to HF and
VHF frequencies. ACREM New South Wales will continue to play an
active role in the BPL fight, alongside the WIA and other groups.

This has been Martin Howells, VK2UMJ, for WIA National News.

--

Asn B-P-L looms in more and more places, users of many radio services
are banding together to fight it. The joint efforts of hams and

**

ENFORCEMENT: $10,000 FINE AGAINST JACK GERRITSEN, Ex-KG6IRO, AFFIRMED

The FCC has affirmed its earlier tentative fine of $10,000 against
unlicensed Los Angeles area radio operator Jack Gerritsen, the former
KG6IRO. This for operating radio transmitting gear after the agency
set aside his license.

As previously reported, on June 15th of this year the Commission's
Los Angeles Field Office issued a Notice of Apparent Liability for
Forfeiture to Gerritsen in the amount of ten thousand dollars. This,
for Gerritsen's apparent, willfull and repeated violating of
Section
301 of the Communications Act by operating a radio station in the
Amateur Radio Service without authorization from the Commission to do
so.

Gerritsen sent in a response to the notice on July 13th. In his
filing Gerritsen claimed that he has a valid amateur license that
permits him to operate on all of the radio frequencies detailed in
the Notice of Apparent Liability and that that the FCC's earlier
action to set aside of his amateur license and KG6IRO call sign was
unfounded. He also claimed the set aside did not prohibit him from
transmitting on the amateur radio bands given his claim that his
amateur license was valid. Also, that any possible suspension of his
license is also pending a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge
and that it makes the Notice of Apparent Liability moot until any
suspension occurs.

Well that might be Gerritsens interpertation of the FCC's
decision
but its not shared by the agency. In affirming its decision to
require him to pay the ten thousand dollar fine the FCC says that
Gerritsen has no license. Just a pending application. Therefore
there is no license for the Commission to suspend that the
correspondence sent to Gerritsen from the FCC informed him that his
amateur license had been set aside. As such the FCC did not grant
him an Amateur license nor any authorization to use the amateur
frequencies.

In closing, it found that Gerritsen is fully liable for a monetary
forfeiture of in the amount of ten thousand dollars. It gave him 30
days fropm the October 5th release of its decision to pay. If he
fails to do this in thr alloted or the FCC says it may be referred to
the Department of Justice for collection. The full story is on line
at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...chmatch/DA-04-
3183A1.doc (FCC)

**

ENFORCEMENT: TO MANY CALL SIGN CHANGES

The FCC wants to know why a California couple has been requesting and
then cancelling call signs. The agency's Daryl Duckworth, NN0W,
explains:

--

Duckworth: "NN6AA, Edward Beluso, of Redding, California, has
been

--

The FCC gave the Beluso's the usual amount of time to respond.
(FCC,

**

Break 2

From the United States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline,
heard on bulletin stations around the world including the K8SCH
repeater of the Oh-Ky-In Amateur Radio Club covering three states
from Cincinatti Ohio.

(5 sec pause here)

**

RESCUE RADIO: KKOB TOWER HIT BY HOT AOR BALLOON

KKOB-AM radio in Albuquerque, New Mexico, had to shut down its 50,000-
watt transmitter for several hours on Sunday, October 10th. This,
after a hot air balloon got tangeled at the top of the stations 700
foot high broadcast tower. Amateur Radio Newsline's Norm Seeley,
KI7UP, has mo

--

According to news reports, Bill Chapel was flying the hot-air balloon
when it blew into the tower near a park where the Albuquerque

Chapel, and passengers Aaron Whitacre, 10, and Troy Wells, 14,
successfully got out of the gondola and onto the tower. They then
began the long climb down the antenna structures ladder.

At the 100 foot level they were met by a group of trained rescue
worker. The rescue team secured the trip with safety gear, and
helped them into a utility truck bucket for the last of the trip back
to mother Earth. Tower maintenance crews then got to work removing
the remainder of the balloon from the antenna structure.

Nobody was hurt in the incident and the station resumed normal
operation once the remnants of the balloon were removed.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, Norm Seeley, KI7UP, in Scottsdale,
Arizona.

--

The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation
Safety Board are reportedly investigating the incident. The

**

RESCUE RADIO: WAYS TO WARN

Scott Marks, KI4GGU, says via the WIA News that Israel has developed
an emergency public notification system called Silent Radio. This is
a regular FM station that remains silent until some kind of emergency
situation takes place. Once it receives an alert, it takes to the
air to issue any required information to the Israeli public which
already knows where to tune in. Kind of the the old Emergency
Broadcast System we had here in the U-S-A before the 1990's
upgrade
to E-A-S that is supposed to warn a lot more people but is also
requires special decoding equipment and is very complex. (WIA News)

**

RESCUE RADIO: WAY NOT TO WARN

Meantime, over in the U-K, Bob Sayers, G8IYK says the Emergency
Planning community in the that nation has tried to have something
like the Israeli alert system established for many years.
Unfortunately, they always get the same response from government
officials ewho say that it would be prohibitively expensive.

In fact not so long ago the nation-wide warning siren network, set up
in World War 2 but retained and improved upon throughout the Cold War
period, was scrapped. The reason was the same. No money to maintain
it. (WIA News)

**

ON THE WEB: NO MORE FREE E-MAIL OFF-LINE CLIENT RIDE

If you are a user of Juno's no-charge e-mail service, part of
your
free ride is coming to an end. This as the Internet service provider
announces that as of December 1st free members will be required to
use webmail to get and send e-mail. In other words you will need a
web accoumt someplace else to use Juno e-mail.

This change only affects Juno Free members who currently download e-
mail to their computer using Juno software, Outlook Express or
other "offline" e-mail clients. These changes to Juno e-mail
will
not affect Juno SpeedBand, Platinum, or MegaMail members or Juno Free
members who already read and write Juno e-mail exclusively on the Web.

According to a release from the company, to continue being able to
use an off-line client with Juno e-mail current free members will
need to upgrade to one of Juno's premium services. More
information
is on line at www.juno.com/emaildiscount. E mail discount is spelled
as one word. (Juno press release)

**

THE SOCIAL SCENE: PACIFICON IN OCTOBER

Turning to the ham radio social calander, Pacificon, the 13th annual
ARRL Pacific Division Convention is happening as this newscast goes
to air. The venue is The Mariott Hotel in San Ramon California.
Those attending will probably get a first hand report on the FCC
decision on B-P-L that took place on Thursday the 14th. (Worldradio)

**

THE SOCIAL SCENE: MICHIGAN IN NOVEMBER

And Michigan's Holland Area Amateur Radio Club is hosting the
State
ARRL Convention again this year. The date is Saturday November 6th.
Talk in will be on the K8DAA 147.060 Mhz repeater that requires CTCSS
access tone of 94.8 Hz (E-mail)

**

BREAK 3

This is ham radio news for today's radio amateur. From the
United
States of America, We are the Amateur Radio Newsline with links to
the world from our only official website at www.arnewsline.org and
being relayed by the volunteer services of the following radio
amateur:

(5 sec pause here)

**

RADIO HEALTH REDUX: IS THERE A CANCER CONNECTION TO HIGH POWER RADIO
TRANSMISSIONS

A follow up to last weeks story on the risks associated to R-F
exposure from living near a high power broadcast station. Bob
Gonsett, W6VR, points a report in his C-G-C Communicator that
discused the same subject. Amateur Radio Newslie's Bruce
Tennant,
K6PZW, reports:

--

Two years ago an Italian study found death rates from leukemia
increased dramatically for residents living within two miles of

But says the CGC Communicator, the problem with the Vatican study is
that it was relatively small in the size and lacked exposure data.
Also, the new Korean study has not even been published. As a result,
this is all speculative and based on some rather sketchy pre release
information.

Clouding the picture is the statement of Epidemiologist Mary McBride
of the British Columbia Cancer Agency also reported in Wired
magazine. It quotes Mc Bride as saying that there have been many
studies like these, and they just are not very convincing.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Bruce Tennant, K6PZW, in Los
Angeles.

--

The bottom line to all this. Its going to take more than just
scientific speculation to know foe certain if there is any affect at

**

RADIO ON THE NET: NEW 2 METER SIMPLEX REMAILER

Interested in 2 meter simplex operation? Well you might want to join
a new remailer and discussion group in cyberspace. Located on the
popular Yahoogroups hosting service the sponsores describe the new
remailer as one for everyone who is a ham and who has a two meter rig
of some sort laying around and a lot of time not being used much of
the time.

Through the group you should be able to set up contact attempt
schedules with other members. If your looking for a way to put that
2 meter fm rig of yours to good use go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/2fmsimplex and sign up. (Repeater
Reflector)

**

NAMES IN THE NEWS: AMSAT ELECTIONS RESULTS ANNOUNCED

Some new names and some old will be running AMSAT North America the
next year. This, with word that Rick Hambly, W2GPS, has been elected
President of the Amateur Radio space authority at the organizations
October 7th Board of Directors meeting.

Hambly replaces Robin Haighton, VE3FRH, who has headed up AMSAT North
Ameriuca the last seveal years. Also elected or re-elected are are
Lee McLamb, KU4OS as Executive Vice President, Mike Kingery, KE4AZN
as Vice President Operations, Stan Wood, WA4FNY taking the task of
Vice President of Engineering, Barry Baines, WD4ASW as Vice President
Marketing and User Services, and Frank Bauer, KA3HDO as Vice
President Human Sapceflight. Gunther Meise, W8GSM, will be taking
the Treasurers spot for the coming year as well.

Also at the meeting status reviews were presented of several
undertakings. These including ongoing projects such as the Echo
satellite and the launch of future hamsats including Eagle. The
Board also had continuing discussions on regulatory matters, most
importantly the impact of FCC Report and Order 04-130 which deals
with the subject of Orbital Debris. (ANS)

**

RADIO IN SPACE: MESABA THE IRANIAN SATELLITE

SpaceDaily reports that Iran intends to launch its first satellite in
April 2005. The bird named Mesbah is said to be a tewenty in square
cube weighing in at 132 pounds.

Plans are to put it int a Low Earth Orbit at about about 560 miles.
The satellite will be used to identify natural resources, control the
nations electrical and energy network and can also be used by
communications and crisis management teams the press reports said.
(ANS)

**

WORLDBEAT: SA HAMS DID NOT LOOSE 2.4 OR 5.6 GHZ

South African Amateurs have not lost access to either the 2.4 and 5.6
GHz band. Its just a government typo. At least thats what South
Africa Radio League president, Graham Hartlett, ZS6GJH, is saying ane
he should know. Thats because he set out to investigate why both
pieces of spectrum were not listed to that nations ham radio
community.

Now Harlett says that he has in hand a communication from the nations
radio regulatory body. It tells him that the 3.4 and 5.6 GHz
allocations for amateurs had been accidentally omitted from the last
publication of the band plan in the Government Gazette. Harlett was
assured that this will be rectified in the next band plan
publication. (WIA News)

**

SPECIAL EVENTS: KØAIR/KØGRL TO CELEBRATE VETERANS DAY

To recognize Veterans Day and the birthday of the legandary General
Curtis E. LeMay, the Strategic Air Command Memorial Amateur Radio
Club will be operating K0AIR and K0GRL on Thursday, November 11th.
The stations will be on the ait 1200 to 2400 hours UTC in the
general phone bands on or near to the following frequencies ending in
47. Thhis 3.947, 7.247, 14.247, 21.347, and 28.347 Mhz depending on
propagation and time of day. Six and two meters will also be
activated 51.47 and 146.46 Mhz. For QSL information please visit
www.sacmarc.org on the World-Wide-Web.

**

DX

In D-X, word that a group of seven German operators is active from
the Chesterfield Islands for eight days beginning about the 16th of
October depending on weather conditions in the area. The
Chesterfield Islands are located between Australia and New
Caledonia. Once on the air, activity will be on 160 to 6 metres
using CW, SSB and RTTY. The callsign will not be announced before
operations start. QSL as directed on the air. (OPDX)

And YT1CS is active portable 5Z4 from Kenya until 18th of November.
He orks only SSB on 20 and 15 metres. Previously he was signing the
rather convoluted call of 5Z4YT1CS until the Kenyan licensing
authority re-inserted the 'stroke' mark in the callsign. (RSGB)

Lastly, seven operators from Germany and Poland are active as TJ3SP
and TJ3FR through October 20th. They have four stations on all bands
and modes, except 160 and 6 meters. These two bands are not licensed
for use in Cameroon. (OPDX)

**

THAT FINAL ITEM: THE HISTORY OF JOTA

And finally this week, its the time of year for Jota -- the scouts
annual ham radio Jamboree on the Air. Last week we told you about
the event as it is today. Now we take a look back in time to the
beginning of the Jamboree with John Williams, VK2BUI.

--

Jamboree On The Air is the largest annual international event in the
Guides and Scouts event calendar, when thousands of Girl Guides and

Like a lot of successful ventures, JOTA had a small beginning, and
whilst Scouting utilised radio in its program in some areas for a
number of years, it was not accepted as an official part of the Scout
program until the 1957 Jubilee Jamboree at Sutton Park Coldfield,
near Birmingham in the United Kingdom.

It was here that a very successful amateur radio station was set up,
but amongst the sixty plus operators present, only two were in
uniform, one of whom Mr Les Mitchell G3BHK.

As this was the only activity at the Jamboree not conducted with a
full Scouting Staff he was rather disappointed, feeling that in the
true spirit of such a wonderful international Scout activity all
Scouters should have been involved in the manning and operation of
this station.

His concern led him to call a meeting of overseas Scout radio
Amateurs present at the Jamboree and during one of their meetings
they decided to keep in touch with each other on air and ensure their
availability, if possible, as station operators at future World
Jamborees.

Initially one day a year was proposed, but thinking this over later
Their nominated Organiser Les Mitchell suggested they consider
inviting amateur radio operators throughout the world to join them
instead in a special weekend each year for a Jamboree on the Air at
which, hopefully, Scouts and leaders would be able to talk to each
other throughout the world