Old July 14th 03, 12:21 AM
Javier Henderson

Default Airborne hamming

I recently finished installing an Icom IC207H in my airplane, a
Cessna 182 Skylane. Check out the photos:

http://skylane.kjsl.com/~javier/phpi...ze=800&start=0

I've taken a few flights since the installation was completed a couple
of weeks ago, range from 8500 feet is awesome, as expected. I
connected it to the audio panel, so I can use the aviation
headset. Audio quality has been reported as excellent.

73,
-jav w6vms
Old July 14th 03, 12:57 AM
Guessing

Hey Jav, a buddy and I did the same -- got the RAR award at ceiling
altitude -- RAISED ALL REPEATERS.

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
I recently finished installing an Icom IC207H in my airplane, a
Cessna 182 Skylane. Check out the photos:

http://skylane.kjsl.com/~javier/phpi...72CG%2FHam+Rad
io+Installation&dispsize=800&start=0

Old July 14th 03, 04:34 AM
Gary S.

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:57:44 -0700, "Guessing"
wrote:

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
I recently finished installing an Icom IC207H in my airplane, a
Cessna 182 Skylane. Check out the photos:

http://skylane.kjsl.com/~javier/phpi...72CG%2FHam+Rad
io+Installation&dispsize=800&start=0

I've taken a few flights since the installation was completed a couple
of weeks ago, range from 8500 feet is awesome, as expected. I
connected it to the audio panel, so I can use the aviation
headset. Audio quality has been reported as excellent.

Hey Jav, a buddy and I did the same -- got the RAR award at ceiling
altitude -- RAISED ALL REPEATERS.

I did a version of this while hiking.

Standing on top of a 3200 foot mountain (Monadnock in SW NH) helps the
range of a 5W HT quite a bit.

I was bringing up two different repeaters on 145.230, the Boston one
with a PL tone, and one in Connecticut that didn't. A bit confusing
for someone in Boston who couldn't hear the guy on the Wilton
repeater.

Some consideration, and perhaps the use of PL tone repeaters, is
helpful.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old July 14th 03, 02:58 PM
Gary S.

On 13 Jul 2003 23:37:34 -0700, Javier Henderson
wrote:

Gary S. Idontwantspam@net writes:

I did a version of this while hiking.

Standing on top of a 3200 foot mountain (Monadnock in SW NH) helps the
range of a 5W HT quite a bit.

I agree. I was able to hit a repeater 20 miles north of Fresno,
from a few miles south of Santa Barbara, but my preferred approach
to this is simplex frequencies.

So far, calling CQ on 146.520 has yielded a few QSO's. I'll continue
with that practice.

I did also try 520 simplex and raised someone about 40 air miles
northeast of there, in South Manchester, NH. He had a mobile rig in
his house, IIRC.

It would be good if more people were listening on the major simplex
frequency, as that would be used for distress calls in the absence of
a specific repeater.

Old July 14th 03, 03:41 PM
Guessing

It would be good if more people were listening on the major simplex
frequency, as that would be used for distress calls in the absence of
a specific repeater.

Set ur rig's call channel to 146.52.