Old September 10th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default QsoNet and the Virtual Ionosphere

A fellow ham suggested I visit www.qsonet.com. Here is a summary of
what I found.
------------

Are you tired of buying or building amateur radio equipment? Perhaps
putting up an antenna isn't fun anymore. Maybe straining for DX is
taking too much effort. Well don't despair - there is an alternative.

You need to consider becoming one of the "next generation" hams.
Communicate around the world using your computer and special "radio"
software. Traditional VoIP programs like eQSO, Echolink and Skype
don't make you feel like a "real ham". You need to take the next step
and use the Virtual Ionosphere and the CQ100 Transceiver. Call CQ,
twiddle the knobs, send CW and RTTY, use ham lingo and make contacts
around the world. However, you will need a ham ticket and $89 (after
the trial period) in order to use this next generation "radio"
simulator.

-------------
Geez - I hope this isn't a glimpse of the future. I think I'll just
keep building stuff and be a "relic" ham.

Roger

Old September 10th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
A fellow ham suggested I visit
www.qsonet.com. Here is a summary of
what I found.
------------

Here's what I found:

doesn't work on Win98

Bad concept too. Probably work a lot better if the interface was a
cobra GLT148 and you had 40 channels. No seriously, IMHO it would work
great as a virtual CB set.

Why on earth do they ask for scans of licence documents when there is
absolutely no connection to RF?

Just my 2p.

Old September 10th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

M0WWS (G1LVN) wrote
Here's what I found:

Bad concept too. Probably work a lot better if the interface was a
cobra GLT148 and you had 40 channels. No seriously, IMHO it would work
great as a virtual CB set.

Are there still any CBers left now that the sunspots are low and there
is little if any "skip" for them?? In order to appeal to CBers you
would have to add a linear amplifier option to the program.

Why on earth do they ask for scans of licence documents when there is
absolutely no connection to RF?

Because they want to restrict use to people with a ham license in an
effort to keep out the general riff-raff. Scanning the license and
waiting for approval makes it feel more exclusive and special. Once
they get CW working they can even start restricting band privileges and
have a nasty no-code debate on their forums!!

The "next generation" ham will think this software is great. No
problems with propagation for contest weekends. The server owner can
even add a little QSB and noise for those seeking a real challenge.
Why not add a QSL bureau (for an extra fee) and have awards etc.

Roger

Old September 11th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

wrote:
A fellow ham suggested I visit
www.qsonet.com. Here is a summary of
what I found.
------------

Are you tired of buying or building amateur radio equipment?

ACtually, no.
Perhaps
putting up an antenna isn't fun anymore. Maybe straining for DX is
taking too much effort.

I love this stuff.
Well don't despair - there is an alternative.

You need to consider becoming one of the "next generation" hams.
Communicate around the world using your computer and special "radio"
software. Traditional VoIP programs like eQSO, Echolink and Skype
don't make you feel like a "real ham". You need to take the next step
and use the Virtual Ionosphere and the CQ100 Transceiver. Call CQ,
twiddle the knobs, send CW and RTTY, use ham lingo and make contacts
around the world. However, you will need a ham ticket and $89 (after
the trial period) in order to use this next generation "radio"
simulator.

Twiddle the knobs, indeed. $89 is a lot to spend to basically access a
newsgroup-pretending-to-be-an-"ionosphere"

Geez - I hope this isn't a glimpse of the future. I think I'll just
keep building stuff and be a "relic" ham.

This is definitely NOT the future of ham radio. UNLESS, there is NO
future to ham radio.

Roger