Old September 18th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Convering HW-101 to 17 and 30 meters

Hello the Group!

I have an Heathkit HW-101 that operates well on 80/75/40/20 and is
useless on 15/10 meters because of all the higher frequency junk in
this area. The Area is Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti near the WAAM antenna group.

I want to sacrifice the 15 meter and one of the 10 meter positions
for the 30 and 17 meter bands. From what I can see on the diagrams and
the crystals being used, I think all I would need are crystals in the
proper cans at the frequencies 18.895 for the 30 mter range and 26.896
for the 17 meter range.

I realize that just changing out the crystals may not be all that is

needed, however, this is the first step. Any Heathkit resources out
there?

And are the crystal cans of the HC6/U variety or the HC33?

Curtis Scholl

Old September 19th 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Rocketeer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello the Group!
I have an Heathkit HW-101 that operates well on 80/75/40/20 and is
useless on 15/10 meters because of all the higher frequency junk in
this area. The Area is Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti near the WAAM antenna group.
I want to sacrifice the 15 meter and one of the 10 meter positions
for the 30 and 17 meter bands. From what I can see on the diagrams and
the crystals being used, I think all I would need are crystals in the
proper cans at the frequencies 18.895 for the 30 mter range and 26.896
for the 17 meter range.
I realize that just changing out the crystals may not be all that is
needed, however, this is the first step. Any Heathkit resources out
there?
And are the crystal cans of the HC6/U variety or the HC33?

Are you sure you wouldn't rather sell the '101 and use the money to help
fund a radio with the bands already built in? The crystals are part of the
necessary changes, but you'll also have coils and caps to change or modify
on the switchboards, perhaps finding new taps on the output coil. Looking
at the manual, it seems that some of the switches appear to be sliding
shorts, so you may have to reposition the 20M band components.
This will reduce whatever value it may have and when you're done, it will
still be a 20 to 30-year old radio with a non-standard modification.
That being said, go for it! There are various ways to get information,
manuals etc. Use a search engine. Sorry, I think crystals are HC6, but
can't be sure. It's always possible that a change was made after I got
mine, in early '70s.

HTH

-NM

Old September 19th 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article .com,
"Rocketeer" wrote:

Hello the Group!

I have an Heathkit HW-101 that operates well on 80/75/40/20 and is
useless on 15/10 meters because of all the higher frequency junk in
this area. The Area is Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti near the WAAM antenna group.

I want to sacrifice the 15 meter and one of the 10 meter positions
for the 30 and 17 meter bands. From what I can see on the diagrams and
the crystals being used, I think all I would need are crystals in the
proper cans at the frequencies 18.895 for the 30 mter range and 26.896
for the 17 meter range.

I realize that just changing out the crystals may not be all that is

needed, however, this is the first step. Any Heathkit resources out
there?

And are the crystal cans of the HC6/U variety or the HC33?

Curtis-

The heterodyne crystals are HC6. I have one for 40 meters in my
collection, although it is probably the bad one I saved. I think it was
soldered into the PCB. If so, a wire-lead version should work as well.

Be aware that the heterodyne oscillator is one of the weak points of the
radio. It requires a very high-Q crystal or it won't oscillate. You may
be able to modify the circuit to increase feedback, and improve its
performance.

According to my notes, the 20 Meter and 15 Meter heterodyne coils are the
same part number. I don't know whether they use the same one for both
positions, or have two that are individually tuned.

Considering the problems you face, it might be easier to convert 20 Meters
to 30 and to convert 15 Meters to 17. Converting one of the Ten meter
positions will be more of a challange.

73,
Fred
K4DII