Old July 21st 03, 10:56 PM
Al Lorona

Default The High Cost of Shipping

Hi, Everybody,

I have been shocked to learn recently how expensive shipping can be.
What do you guys all do when you have to ship equipment?

I am selling a Drake station and took the AC-4 / MS-4 to the local
Mailboxes, Etc. store to get an idea of how much it would cost. They
told me that UPS Ground was $36.86 to ship from California to Michigan.
And that was not including the packing! And there would be two more
boxes to ship (for the receiver and transmitter)!

I had to give my buyer that sad news that, at these prices, I can't
afford to ship!

What is the best practice to follow when needing to ship equipment
across the country?

Thanks.

Regards,

Al W6LX
Old July 21st 03, 11:06 PM
--Bill--

Al Lorona wrote:
Hi, Everybody,

I have been shocked to learn recently how expensive shipping can be.
What do you guys all do when you have to ship equipment?

I bite the bullet and consider it part of the cost. I live in Zone 8
from most locations and the rates have skyrocketed in the past few years
compared to more local zones..

I am selling a Drake station and took the AC-4 / MS-4 to the local
Mailboxes, Etc. store to get an idea of how much it would cost. They
told me that UPS Ground was $36.86 to ship from California to Michigan.
And that was not including the packing! And there would be two more
boxes to ship (for the receiver and transmitter)!

I have heard that the "Mailboxes" places mark up the UPS rates by about
20-25%. You can check the REAL rates online at their website. I hope
you didn't ask about the cost of packing or you'd just now be getting up
off the floor!

I had to give my buyer that sad news that, at these prices, I can't
afford to ship!

What is the best practice to follow when needing to ship equipment
across the country?

Pack it yourself and carry it to the Post Office or UPS.

-Bill

Old July 22nd 03, 01:00 AM
GS

I have been shocked to learn recently how expensive shipping can be.
What do you guys all do when you have to ship equipment?

I signed up for an account directly with UPS and they come right
to my house. And the rates are HALF what the 'retail' places charge.

GS

Old July 22nd 03, 01:23 AM
Phil Kane

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:21:50 -0500, Phil Witt wrote:

Shipping them together should save some. I was surprised today when I
shipped a rather large box, weight 21 lbs., from Alabama to Arkansas
for only $12.49. That was from a UPS/Mailboxes. The USPS cost was like
$19.00 for the same. They said they typically run about 10% higher
than the UPS terminal counter prices. The cheapest way to ship is from
someplace that has a UPS account with daily pickup service. A friend,
maybe.

Still, shipping ain't cheap.

Shipping heavy items used to be cheapest by Greyhound Package
Services, but the drawback was that you had to take it to the bus
depot when you were the shipper and pick it up there when you were
the recipient. I don't even know if they do that any more.

Just this afternoon I shipped something from the UPS Store, the new
name for Mailboxes. Shipping was $12 and packing was $4. The "do
it yourself" cost would have been about $9 for shipping and $3 for
the right size box and packing (I've packed many a shipment so I do
know how to do it properly). The drawback is that I would have had
to drive about 15 miles to the UPS Service Center (it's 95 degrees
out today in the blazing sun and I would have to drive into the sun
to get there) versus the UPS Store about three minutes away locally.
It was worth the extra few bucks.

Don't ask why the FedEx truck drove up to the UPS Store just as I
was leaving.....

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old July 22nd 03, 01:23 AM
Phil Kane

[...]

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old July 22nd 03, 01:34 AM
STB

Forget UPS and their so-called "shipping agents." They've made it quite
clear their not interested in residential business. Then Mailboxes tacks on
20% more? What are we wearing, "KICK ME" signs on out backs?
Look into Federal Express GROUND. Its cheaper than UPS AND the post office
Parcel Post,packages are treated better, insurance is included and you'll
have the item in 3 days.

Vern Weiss W9STB
All boatanchors-All CW
"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"--Bill--" wrote in message
I have heard that the "Mailboxes" places mark up the UPS rates by about
20-25%. You can check the REAL rates online at their website. I hope
you didn't ask about the cost of packing or you'd just now be getting up
off the floor!

Pack it yourself and carry it to the Post Office or UPS.

-Bill

What Bill said... I have found that going to Mailboxes, Etc., or anything
like them, will cost right at twice what packing it yourself and driving

the post office costs. I live in Korea, and I have to use USPS to send or
receive all my parcels. I have sent items much heavier than what you

planned
to ship for only about $35 to the east coast (APO's are charged from San
Francisco). Pack it, weigh it, and check online at www.usps.com or
www.ups.com for actual shipping costs.

Old July 22nd 03, 01:35 AM
Scott Dorsey

Al Lorona wrote:

I have been shocked to learn recently how expensive shipping can be.
What do you guys all do when you have to ship equipment?

I pack it myself and take it to the local FedEx ground depot. FedEx Ground
is usually cheaper than UPS for large objects.

I am selling a Drake station and took the AC-4 / MS-4 to the local
Mailboxes, Etc. store to get an idea of how much it would cost. They
told me that UPS Ground was $36.86 to ship from California to Michigan.
And that was not including the packing! And there would be two more
boxes to ship (for the receiver and transmitter)!

Right, but they are also tacking a substantial fee on top of the UPS fee.
You'll find if you take it to the UPS depot yourself, it'll cost half
that. FedEx will be still cheaper. The pack and ship places are NOT
cost-effective if you do a lot of shipping.
--scott