RadioBanter

-   -   TS57SG vs. IC746pro (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/10622-re-ts57sg-vs-ic746pro.html)

Fred McKenzie July 27th 03 05:48 AM

I'm trying to decide between the Kenwood TS570SG and the Icom IC746pro.

I realize this is one of those Chevy vs. Ford debates, but would someone
care to convince me either way?

Javier-

The Kenwwod is either a 570S with Six Meters, or a 570G without. I don't think
there is a 570SG.

I think you've nailed it as far as different people having different opinions.
Personally, I would prefer Kenwood over Icom, but find that Kenwood has not
been keeping up in recent years.

Consider that the IC-746Pro is more expensive than the TS-570. Unless cost is
a deciding factor, one might expect the Icom to be better.

One thing I would consider, is whether the DSP operates at the audio level or
at the IF level. I believe the Kenwood's DSP is audio only, but I'm not sure
about the Icom. Reviews I've read indicate the IF DSP is superior, and that
audio DSP leaves a strong background noise that can be tiring to listen to.

73, Fred, K4DII

Javier Henderson July 27th 03 07:03 AM

(Fred McKenzie) writes:

The Kenwwod is either a 570S with Six Meters, or a 570G without. I
don't think there is a 570SG.

The nomenclature is TS570DG without 6m and TS570SG with. See the
brochure at Kenwood's website, for example.

The original models were TS570S and TS570D.

-jav

Fred McKenzie July 27th 03 06:04 PM

(Fred McKenzie) writes:

The Kenwwod is either a 570S with Six Meters, or a 570G without. I
don't think there is a 570SG.

The nomenclature is TS570DG without 6m and TS570SG with.

Javier-

That's what old age will do for you! Now I remember the "G" stands for DSP.

73, Fred, K4DII

Ed G. July 27th 03 09:00 PM

Of the three radios, only the Icom has IF level DSP.... could be
important, depending on your operating conditions and needs.

Ed

Ed G. July 27th 03 09:00 PM

Javier Henderson July 27th 03 10:09 PM

(Fred McKenzie) writes:

(Fred McKenzie) writes:

The Kenwwod is either a 570S with Six Meters, or a 570G without. I
don't think there is a 570SG.

The nomenclature is TS570DG without 6m and TS570SG with.

Javier-

That's what old age will do for you! Now I remember the "G" stands for DSP.

Well, it's so intuitive, isn't it... G for DSP...

73,
-jav w6vms

Javier Henderson July 27th 03 10:10 PM

"Ed G." writes:

Of the three radios, only the Icom has IF level DSP.... could be
important, depending on your operating conditions and needs.

Does DSP really help? To the point of eliminating the need for
xtal filters? Or does it get swamped in the presence of strong
adjacent signals?

73,
-jav w6vms

K5JOE July 27th 03 11:33 PM

If you are blind and need a good talking radio get the 570SG, but if you do
not need the talker, HANDS DOWN get the 746. I do not think you need to
spend the extra money for the pro. You will have 100 watts out on HF, 6
meter and 2 meters. ALL MODE..
Also you will have a Fishfinder Display. :-)
K5JOE
Had them both, love the 746.
http://www.k5joe.com