Old July 27th 03, 05:48 AM
Fred McKenzie

Default TS57SG vs. IC746pro

I'm trying to decide between the Kenwood TS570SG and the Icom IC746pro.

I realize this is one of those Chevy vs. Ford debates, but would someone
care to convince me either way?

Javier-

The Kenwwod is either a 570S with Six Meters, or a 570G without. I don't think
there is a 570SG.

I think you've nailed it as far as different people having different opinions.
Personally, I would prefer Kenwood over Icom, but find that Kenwood has not
been keeping up in recent years.

Consider that the IC-746Pro is more expensive than the TS-570. Unless cost is
a deciding factor, one might expect the Icom to be better.

One thing I would consider, is whether the DSP operates at the audio level or
at the IF level. I believe the Kenwood's DSP is audio only, but I'm not sure
about the Icom. Reviews I've read indicate the IF DSP is superior, and that
audio DSP leaves a strong background noise that can be tiring to listen to.

73, Fred, K4DII

Old July 27th 03, 06:24 AM
Ed Cregger

I like all of the radios mentioned, but I would have to go with the Icom in
this instance.

Ed, NM2K

Old July 27th 03, 09:00 PM
Ed G.

Of the three radios, only the Icom has IF level DSP.... could be
important, depending on your operating conditions and needs.

Ed
Old July 27th 03, 09:00 PM
Ed G.