RadioBanter

-   -   kenwood 450s problem. (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/107769-kenwood-450s-problem.html)

Ian Smith October 24th 06 12:52 AM

kenwood 450s problem.

Hi,
I seem to have a problem with my kenwood 450s. I can transmit fine on
80 and 40 meters but when I go to 20 nothing plus there is what sounds
like an echo when I try to transmit. The antenna tuner says the SWR is Ok.
I use a G5RV antenna and thought that this may be the problem. I have
just installed an "ENDFEDZ" 20m end fed dipole, the results are the
same. I can receive OK and there is no difference on the transmit side
when I bypass the tuner and connect either antenna directly to the
radio. Any help / suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Ian
VA3SOF

Charlie October 24th 06 02:25 PM

kenwood 450s problem.

How does it perform into a known good dummy load? If you don't have one get
one ..about $39 from MFJ

1. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-260C

--

73,Charlie-AD5TH
www.ad5th.com

Fred McKenzie October 30th 06 06:33 PM

kenwood 450s problem.

In article ,
Ian Smith wrote:

Hi,
I seem to have a problem with my kenwood 450s. I can transmit fine on
80 and 40 meters but when I go to 20 nothing plus there is what sounds
like an echo when I try to transmit.

Ian-

Charlie's suggestion to try it with a dummy load is a good idea. That
would (probably) eliminate stray RF as the source of the echo.

It would also provide a non-reactive load, in case your output stage
happens to be oscillating at some frequency determined by the tuner. A
further check on this would require a spectrum analyzer, ham-scan or a
panadapter to see if you are transmitting on more than one frequency.

73,
Fred
K4DII