Old October 24th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default kenwood 450s problem.

Hi,
I seem to have a problem with my kenwood 450s. I can transmit fine on
80 and 40 meters but when I go to 20 nothing plus there is what sounds
like an echo when I try to transmit. The antenna tuner says the SWR is Ok.
I use a G5RV antenna and thought that this may be the problem. I have
just installed an "ENDFEDZ" 20m end fed dipole, the results are the
same. I can receive OK and there is no difference on the transmit side
when I bypass the tuner and connect either antenna directly to the
radio. Any help / suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Ian
VA3SOF
Old October 24th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

How does it perform into a known good dummy load? If you don't have one get
one ..about $39 from MFJ

1. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/produc...rodid=MFJ-260C

--

73,Charlie-AD5TH
www.ad5th.com

Old October 30th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
Ian Smith wrote:

Hi,
I seem to have a problem with my kenwood 450s. I can transmit fine on
80 and 40 meters but when I go to 20 nothing plus there is what sounds
like an echo when I try to transmit.

Ian-

Charlie's suggestion to try it with a dummy load is a good idea. That
would (probably) eliminate stray RF as the source of the echo.

It would also provide a non-reactive load, in case your output stage
happens to be oscillating at some frequency determined by the tuner. A
further check on this would require a spectrum analyzer, ham-scan or a
panadapter to see if you are transmitting on more than one frequency.

73,
Fred
K4DII