Old August 11th 03, 07:23 PM
AB7RU

Default Will my HT make it through airport security?

I am flying out tomorrow on a vactiontion and want to take along my
FT-50 ... I had repacked the battery case on it with new AA nimh cells
and just have it taped back together. I am wondering if security might
wonder why its taped up. Anyone have experience with trying to fly
with amateur gear thats not exactly off the shelf condition if you
know what I mean (ie homebrew gear, qrp etc)
THanks for any advice, Mike AB7RU
PS I am not checking in luggage - just carry on.
Old August 11th 03, 11:47 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

If you put it in your carry-on luggage and pass it throught the x-ray you
should be OK ... I would have a copy of my license and allow a little
extra time at the security check point in case they want you to take it
out of the bag, turn it on and show them some evidence that it works
as they would expect ...

I travel with a backpack station (FT-817, auto-tuner, various chargers,
balun, coils of coax and wire, etc. quite frequently ... I often am asked
to allow a visual inspection after the x-ray, but after that it's not a big
deal. Just takes a few minutes, even with all that stuff ... an HT should
not be a big deal.

As far as the tape goes, if the battery pack runs the radio as expected,
doesn't look suspicious on x-ray, and you explain, I think that will be
OK. (YMMV ...)

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old August 12th 03, 03:43 PM
Caljsi

Mike,
I tried to send you a amessage about taking your HT with you on an
aircraft. But, your e-mail addresss bounced the note.
Cal K4JSI

Old August 27th 03, 07:10 PM
AB7RU

I thought I would post a followup on this...
I deceided not to try and take the HT as a carry-on and just put it in
some checked in baggage - on both flights out and coming back though
the suitcase was checked by TS and they left a little card indicating
that they had checked it. I also had some battery holders with the HT
that had alligator clips on the ends along with a MAHA charger - I am
sure seeing the jumble of wires and alligator clips and a taped
together Nicad pack for the FT-50 got them excited
Mike AB7RU

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:53:16 -0400, "C.L."
wrote:

"AB7RU" wrote in message
.. .
I am flying out tomorrow on a vactiontion and want to take along my
FT-50 ... I had repacked the battery case on it with new AA nimh cells
and just have it taped back together. I am wondering if security might
wonder why its taped up. Anyone have experience with trying to fly
with amateur gear thats not exactly off the shelf condition if you
know what I mean (ie homebrew gear, qrp etc)
THanks for any advice, Mike AB7RU
PS I am not checking in luggage - just carry on.

I had a similar problem with a "fire" pager "prior" to 9/11 - and I wasn't
even flying, just going to the gate. I believe the trick was, to get it to
make noise, show them what it is used for. Tell them it is in there, explain
it to them... The x- rays should pick out the batteries, show they can be
removed. Maybe tell them that it is similar to the radios they are holding.
Show proof of your license if need be. BUT don't be expected to be allowed
to use it on board. Last I recall, that was a huge NO...... C.L.

Old September 4th 03, 08:26 PM
Gary S.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:10:41 -0700, AB7RU
wrote:

I thought I would post a followup on this...
I deceided not to try and take the HT as a carry-on and just put it in
some checked in baggage - on both flights out and coming back though
the suitcase was checked by TS and they left a little card indicating
that they had checked it. I also had some battery holders with the HT
that had alligator clips on the ends along with a MAHA charger - I am
sure seeing the jumble of wires and alligator clips and a taped
together Nicad pack for the FT-50 got them excited
Mike AB7RU

Different follow up:

I just did a RT from Boston-Logan to Chicago-O'Hare. Both ways I had
my HT in carry on, antenna removed, put it in the tray with all the
other battery-powered devices, and ran it through the X-ray conveyor.

No comment from the TSA people.

I did however, have it charged and preset to a NOAA weather frequency
in case there was a need to demo it to them as a working radio.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old September 24th 03, 01:25 AM
Dean Arthur

AND have photocopy of license in bag with radios and small photo-size
copy of license in wallet.