Old August 12th 03, 04:16 PM
Savage

Default Which ATU?

I think I've narrowed it down to either the MFJ-969 1.8 to 54MHz roller
coaster, or the MFJ-934 combined ATU and artificial earth, but I would
appreciate some input from past/present users.

My present rig is a Yaesu FT817, which so far has been used only for RX on
HF and Tx on V/Uhf, but I am looking around for a 'base' rig of up to 100W
max out for the future, so the ATU would need to cover all power and antenna
feed contingencies. I am prepared to look at other models of manual/metered
ATU but I really like the looks and specs of the 969 with one reservation.
The FT817 is QRP and I haven't seen a min RF power spec for the MFJ 969

I don't have any HF long antennas in use yet, save for a simple end fed long
wire for Rx but on the plus side, I already have a 10M dipole and vertical
ready to go up on the house, so when I start looking seriously for a multi
band antenna I could survive happily with something which will tune between
15 and 80M

Earthing/grounding is a problem. The only place I can drive an earth stake
is around 18 feet down and 6 feet out to clear the foundations, and means
digging up a couple of paving slabs on a path to cover the wire and drilling
through a concrete 'car port' slab, but I can probably use the domestic
water or CH pipes for the FT817 for the time being unless the AE on the
MFJ-934 does what it's supposed to do.

de G6XCD