Old November 12th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Best places for buying components for homebrew projects

What are some of the best places for buying components for homebrew
equipment, these days?

I'm looking for places with good stock, good variety, and good websites.

Right now I'm mainly looking for B&W Miniductor stock and transmitting
capacitors, for making antenna traps, but I'm also looking to build a
linear amplifier for use with my FT-817 ... and after that, who knows?

I've lost track of the good places over the years, and many of them have
gone out of business, so any suggestions for the current best places would
be much appreciated.

Old November 12th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"C. J. Clegg" wrote in message
news

What are some of the best places for buying components for homebrew
equipment, these days?

I'm looking for places with good stock, good variety, and good websites.

Right now I'm mainly looking for B&W Miniductor stock and transmitting
capacitors, for making antenna traps, but I'm also looking to build a
linear amplifier for use with my FT-817 ... and after that, who knows?

I've lost track of the good places over the years, and many of them have
gone out of business, so any suggestions for the current best places would
be much appreciated.

Start with RF Parts for standard transmitting capacitors, tubes and
associated parts for amplifier building. Yes, you might find cheaper -
somewhere -- but start here.
http://www.rfparts.com/

WD7S is a good source for major assemblies for advanced or experienced
builders (no "teaching" technical support should be assumed).
http://home.earthlink.net/~wd7s/contents.htm

Get to know your local metal scrap and garbage/junk man -- so much stuff is
thrown out these days -- that could be useful for amateur radio projects is
amazing -- the current "new amateur (Novice) -- seems to have little
interest in building or the necessary basic skills to even start.

B&W Miniductors --- those favorites of do-it-yourselfer's - Barker &
Williamson's (B&W) Miniductor and Air Dux coil stocks-are getting harder to
find. When you do locate a source, you'll find the inductors are rather
expensive. Typically from $15 to $100 each !!
http://www.bwantennas.com/coils/coilcat.htm

QST August 1997 article. page 33 by Robert H. Johns, W3JIP
"Making your own air wound coils and inductors !"
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/9708033.pdf

IF you are going to be building an triode and tetrode amplifier --
then you should seriously consider usage of the G3SEK Control Board (over
1,000 sold to builders):
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek/

w9gb

Old November 14th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"w9gb" wrote in message
"C. J. Clegg" wrote in message
news

[...]

I'd like to add Dan's Small Parts web site to that list. No toobs, but lots of
RF-related parts. Great prices too.
http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.