Old August 20th 03, 09:58 AM
Harry Davidsen

Default Can the batterypack BP-199 for Icom T81 be repaired?

My batterypack BP-199 has become exhausted after 3 years of little use
(around 25 charge cycles only). Is there anyway that it can be easily
repaired? Can I open it easily and substitute the cells with new ones?
What kind of cells are inside and where can they be bought?

Greatful for any hint!

Harry
Old August 21st 03, 10:29 PM
mike

Doug McLaren wrote:
In article ,
Harry Davidsen wrote:

| My batterypack BP-199 has become exhausted after 3 years of little use
| (around 25 charge cycles only). Is there anyway that it can be easily
| repaired? Can I open it easily and substitute the cells with new ones?
| What kind of cells are inside and where can they be bought?

I've never seen that particular battery pack, but the answer is most
likely `yes'.

I found this on it --

http://www.chq-inc.com/IACCESS/BP-199.html

So, if it's 6 volts DC and 700 mAh, it's probably 5 cells. If it's
700 mAh and NiMH it could be AAA cells, or N cells. The former you
can buy at Wal-Mart, the latter are harder to find.

Crack it open and see what you've got.

Replacing batteries in packs like this is easy with a little practice.

As for soldering the pack together, be sure to have a large soldering
iron -- at least 60 watts -- with a big fat tip that will hold lots of
heat. You don't want a soldering gun -- they don't store enough heat.
Also get some desoldering braid -- it makes a wonderful wire between
the cells.

Here's some good instructions --

http://www.dynamoelectrics.com/How-To.htm

You need a big iron because you need to be fast -- only touch the cell
for 2-3 seconds or so, tops. Any more will damage the cells.

Soldering on batteries is a no-no, but you're gonna do it anyway...
Get some extra cells to replace the ones that vent and go bad after they
were overheated. If you've never done this before, you're likely to
fail. So practice first soldering on the dead cells.

Take a close look at how much space you have in the plastic.
Often, the cells fit so tightly that there's no room for the solder
joint and wire. Check out the space before you go soldering on perfectly
good cells that won't fit.

Cells with tabs
will solve your problem if there's room to solder on 'em.

No flames about soldering, I've heard 'em all.

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you tried to revive the pack?
Depending on the cell technology, discharge each cell individually to
1.0V then recharge 'em. Maybe try it more than once. Sometimes works.
Sometimes you have one cell that's shorted. You can blast the short out
with a charged capacitor. The cell will have poor shelf life due to
leakage, but if used/charged regularly can have useful life.
mike

Grid Dip Meter
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $450
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser

Old August 21st 03, 10:29 PM
mike