Old November 27th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Automotive style GPSes with NMEA-0183 HW interface?

I need a GPS that was a HARDWARE NMEA-0183 interface to put into my car so I
can run APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System). The books say MOST of
the GPSes made have this feature, but it is such an obscure thing that none
of the GPSes I've looked at mention it at all (on the box or on the
website), and I can't really open up the boxes to read the manual. Some of
them mention they use the NMEA-0183 protocol, but then say they transmit the
protocol over Bluetooth or USB. I need a GPS that has the NMEA-0183
hardware interface using a serial port. I know I can get a cheap Garmin
eTrex (about $99) that has it, but I'd really like to get one of the newer
automotive-style GPSes that are on sale everywhere. Anyone know of a
website that lists which GPSes have NMEA-0183 serial ports or which
of the automotive-style ones have it?

Old December 1st 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

They and Kenwood had displays at the recent TAPR-DCC. The Kenwood rep
mentioned that they, unlike any of the other major GPS manufacturers,
are willing to work with Kenwood on tweaks that make them even more
APRS friendly. As a retired pilot, I got a chuckle out of one of the
display formats which mimicked an aircraft Horizontal Situation
Indicator, HSI. I gather they are primarily a European avionics firm
looking to expand and move into the consumer market, which may account
for some of the price.

--
Alan
WA4SCA