Old August 25th 03, 08:54 PM
Tad Marko

Default SMA connector on VX-2R out of spec?

Howdy,

I recently obtained a Yaesu VX-2R and I like it very much, but for
some reason none of my aftermarket antennas seemed to work well on it.
Today I think I finally realized well. I noticed that the center pin
on the original antenna was much longer than on either of my
aftermarket antennas (one a Diamond SRH519, the other a Comet nubbin).
In examining the connector on the radio, the center hole looks like it
is recessed quite a bit. I removed the rubber boot that is around the
bottom of the antenna mount and screwed on the Diamond antenna which
then suddenly begain to work quite well. Apparently the center pin of
both antennas was able to reach the center hole on the radio.

Which is out of spec? The VX-2R's mount or both of my antennas?

Thanks for any thoughs,
Tad