Old August 28th 03, 06:38 AM
Stix

Default ICOM IC-T7H or IC-W32?

Hey gang...

I've been off the air since my radio was stolen a few years back. Now I'm
looking to scrape together a little cash, buy myself a handheld and car
antenna, and get back to a little 2M activity.

I went browsing at the local HRO, and spoke to a gentleman who recommended
for my budget the IC-T7H and a particular glass mount antenna. After
flipping through a few catalogues, I'm thinking I might want to save a
little longer to get the IC-W32.

What are your opinions on this? Any experience with either radio? Is it
worth the extra or should I stick with the T7H? I will be using it in the
car and the backlit number pad would be very convenient, although I'm sure
after setting my pre-sets I won't need to fiddle with it much in transit.

Any and all opinions/suggestions/comments are welcome. Thank you in advance
for your help.

__C. J.
KF6BLN

Old August 28th 03, 06:56 AM
greg z

ic-w32

73
KC*VIF
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true
Old August 28th 03, 06:56 AM
greg z

ic-w32

73
KC*VIF
Greg Z
to thine own sound be true
Old August 28th 03, 05:44 PM
Radioman

IC-2100H for a mobile. Resists IMD unlike most handhelds. 55 watts to get you in the repeater.
Old September 3rd 03, 03:02 AM
Bob Miller

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:38:59 -0700, "Stix"
wrote:

[...]

For mobile use, I wouldn't use either handheld. Too little power; too
little selectivity for California's repeater madhouse; and controls
are too dinky for driving. For the same price as the t7h, look at the
Icom V8000. 75 Watts, over 200 memories, big knobs.

For an antenna, be wary of glass mounts -- especially if you have any
film on your window. A quarter wave whip on a mag mount, or a lip
mount, won't put a hole in your car, and will get out better.

Bob
k5qwg

Old September 3rd 03, 03:29 PM
W4PHM

Regardless of whether we are talking about using an HT for
mobile use or not, I own both rigs mentioned.

I like them both but if I only had to have one it would be the
w32A. Regardless of the specs the W32A has a bit more
wattage and a lot more sensitivity and adjacent frequency
rejection. The benefits of having a rig with dual receivers
like the W32A are great when you want to hit a satellite or
listen to specific frequencies in one band while monitoring
one in another. The scan functions are great. I usually carry
the T7H with me and use the W32A only when I am sure
I won't expose it to something that may damage it, I treat it
with kid gloves.

Best 73

Patrick
W4PHM
WPWK542

Old September 5th 03, 11:06 PM
Dr. John

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:44:01 -0400, Radioman belch-spoke these words:

IC-2100H for a mobile. Resists IMD unlike most handhelds. 55 watts to get you in the repeater.

Which repeater? The one 100-150 miles away?

John