Old September 9th 03, 05:40 PM
Paul Ryan

That radio (TH-F6A) would be a good companion HT for a crossband repeat
(CBR) capable rig, but is not in itself a crossband repeater. That is,
it can work crossband split (TX on one band, RX on another) where one
one function is done at a time, but it can't receive on one band while
simultaneously transmitting on the other.

Typical example: You're on a SAR mission in a valley. You can hear the
2-M repeater fine, but can't reach it with your HT. If you had a CBR
capable rig in your car (like the IC-2720H or TM-V7A), you could set it
to receive on UHF simplex and simultaneously transmit on the 2-M
repeater's input frequency.

You set the HT to listen on the 2-M repeater frequency, but have it set
to transmit on UHF when you key up. When you key the HT it's now
talking to your mobile CBR and the CBR is hitting the 2-M repeater on
it's input frequency with 50 watts. When you unkey, the CBR stops
transmitting (no input on its UHF side) and your HT is hearing the repeater.

This is one simple example. There are more cpmplex setups, but then we
have to start talking about ID requirements!!!

Icom has a "must read" document on crossbanding at:
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/d...epeat_info.pdf
It's an old reprint from QST, but lots of good data that still applies.

HTH, 73
Paul (N0KIA)

wrote:

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:54:23 -0400,
wrote:

I was told that one can set up the Icom IC-2720H as a sort of a
"remote base" or cross-band repeater, so that I can use my 440-MHz HT
to talk to the IC-2720H and have my transmission repeated on 2 meters,
with the received signal on 2 meters repeated back to me on 440.

Others have told me that radios like one of the Alinco HTs can also do
this.

Does anyone know if you can do this with the Kenwood TH-F6A? There's
nothing I can find in the manual about it but there may be some kind
of undocumented procedure as with the IC-2720H.

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 9th 03, 08:43 PM

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 12:40:20 -0400, Paul Ryan
wrote:

That radio (TH-F6A) would be a good companion HT for a crossband repeat
(CBR) capable rig, but is not in itself a crossband repeater.

Ah, wouldn't you know it...

There is apparently an Alinco HT that costs half the price of the
TH-F6A that does CBR just fine, so says a local ham here in NH who
owns one.

Ditto the Icom IC-W32, which another owner here tells me can do CBR
.... for about 2/3 the price of the TH-F6A.

But nooooo .... I had to have 220 along with 2M and 440, so I bought
the TH-F6A. :-(

Oh, well... (it's a nice HT otherwise...)

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 9th 03, 10:07 PM
Clif Holland

Just my opinion, but anyone who uses a walkie-talkie for a crossband
repeater is asking for a repair bill. None of the talkies have enough
heatsink to support much over a 20% duty cycle and repeater service would
be 100%. Think about it if you are not talking then the repaeter is and the
talkie doesn't get a break.

Maybe that's why the Kenwood won't do it!

--
Clif Holland, KA5IPF
AVVid

www.avvid.com

1-800-214-5779
972-870-0630 (Local)

Old September 9th 03, 11:24 PM

On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:07:00 -0500, "Clif Holland"
wrote:

Just my opinion, but anyone who uses a walkie-talkie for a crossband
repeater is asking for a repair bill. None of the talkies have enough
heatsink to support much over a 20% duty cycle and repeater service would
be 100%.

There are three power selections for the TH-F6A. If you select the
lower two, you can transmit pretty much continuously. If the HT is up
high enough, the height will compensate nicely for the low power.

But, I wasn't planning to use an HT for this; since I have the TH-F6A
anyway, I was hoping I could just use it for some feaibility
experiments,

Rick WA1RKT

Old September 10th 03, 03:56 AM
Ed G.

Ditto the Icom IC-W32, which another owner here tells me can do CBR
... for about 2/3 the price of the TH-F6A.

But nooooo .... I had to have 220 along with 2M and 440, so I bought
the TH-F6A. :-(

Oh, well... (it's a nice HT otherwise...)

Yes it is. I especially like to be able to monitor 75M and 40M local
SSB activity. Try doing that on those other HTs.

Ed