Old September 14th 03, 05:29 PM
Osborne605

Default Icom IC-27020H

I have been kicking around the idea of buying an IC-2720H and wonder if anyone
has any opinions pro or con on this radio.

Dale
KA7MHP
Old September 14th 03, 11:10 PM
artie

In article , Osborne605
wrote:

I have been kicking around the idea of buying an IC-2720H and wonder if anyone
has any opinions pro or con on this radio.

Dale
KA7MHP

There's a yahoo group that covers the radio -- take a look at it.

I've had one for a while, and like it. The yahoo group has
instructions on things such as cross-band repeat, as well as the usual
mods.

Old September 15th 03, 07:01 PM
Paul Ryan

Dale,

I've had mine for about 9 months. Run it mobile in the trunk of a 2000
Saturn Wagon with the control head on top of the dash panel. On-glass
dual-band antenna for day-to-day operation and a 5/8L mag mount for
fixed public service events.

I find it to be a FB radio once it's programmed and you're into regular
operation. Programming, compared to my previous three mobile rigs, is
not intuitive. You might even call it tedious! I always carry the
manual along in the glovebox.

I've used crossband without problem in a few situations. I've also NOT
discovered the IMD problem that other users report. However, I'm about
seven miles outside the urban Allentown, PA area, so the strong signals
are a few miles away...

One negative is the mic mounting plug in the control head. It's an
RJ-45 connector that takes a lot of strain. After ~ 6 months use, I had
reports of low audio. Turns out the connector had worked itself so it
no longer had a good contact. I rigged a strain relief for the cord and
the problem has disappeared. I miss the 8 pin standard mic connector of
old, but there just isn't room for them on the small modern day control
heads!

Good luck on your decision. In my opinion, it's a great radio for the
price.

73,
Paul (N0KIA)

WTB Icom IC-245 NI4K Boatanchors 0 October 29th 03 09:39 PM
FS: Icom R75 Receiver w/DSP David Black Equipment 0 July 21st 03 10:09 PM
FS: Icom R75 Receiver w/DSP David Black Equipment 0 July 21st 03 10:09 PM
ICOM IC-228A 2-METER XCVR Robert G. Carter Equipment 0 July 20th 03 04:13 PM
ICOM IC-228A 2-METER XCVR Robert G. Carter Equipment 0 July 20th 03 04:13 PM