Old September 27th 03, 12:01 AM
Ed G.

Default BPL and UPS

Remember how UPS made a big effort to persuade the FCC how they just HAD
to have spectrum in the 220MHz Ham band? After a lot of arguing and legal
wrangling, they got it.

Then, after they were awarded 2MHz of our 220MHz, remember how they
determined that it didn't really suit their needs and they ended up in the
800MHz service anyway? ( I believe commercial SSB systems were given the
220MHz portion for narrowband systems, which hasn't really worked out very
well......)

Regarding BPL.... I wonder if a similar thing might happen?

Ed
Old September 27th 03, 12:21 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Ed G." wrote in message
. ..

Remember how UPS made a big effort to persuade the FCC how they just HAD
to have spectrum in the 220MHz Ham band? After a lot of arguing and legal
wrangling, they got it.

Then, after they were awarded 2MHz of our 220MHz, remember how they
determined that it didn't really suit their needs and they ended up in the
800MHz service anyway? ( I believe commercial SSB systems were given the
220MHz portion for narrowband systems, which hasn't really worked out very
well......)

Regarding BPL.... I wonder if a similar thing might happen?

Ed

Actually there is some possibility that users who try BPL will dump it
because the commercial broadcast systems (radio and TV), public service, etc
will cause them problems and they'll decide to move to something else (back
to phone, or to DSL, or cable modem and so on). There's quite a bit of RF
floating around any city these days. It the urban areas don't use it, the
rural areas will never get a chance to try it as it probably won't be
uneconomical to set it up just for rural areas.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 27th 03, 02:29 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
.com...

"Ed G." wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Corrections:

"...If the urban areas don't use it,..."
"...probably won't be economical..."

Sometimes a person is just too tired to organize their thoughts properly.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old September 28th 03, 11:55 PM
CD Truth

I feel BPL will make many adversaries among
the power companies themselves. Currently AEP
uses a regional grid monitoring system that
monitors the power line status in real time using
data over the power lines.

Should BPL interfere with the Utility Company's
Monitoring Hardware, BPL will be put into
the ash can.

Some examples of Electric Utility monitoring:

http://www.powline.com/usrgroup/rating.html

http://www.softswitch.com/images/IAS...2%20I-Grid.pdf

http://www.softswitch.com/igrid-utility.htm

. ..