Old March 20th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Advice Requested: Sound Cards for PSK-31 and RTTY?

I'm interested in getting into HF PSK-31 and RTTY. And maybe I'll try
some of the other sound card based modes too. Comes the question of
how I should configure the dedicated ham station Winbox. Is there
anything to be gained by spending money on say some Creative Labs or
Turtle Beach sound card or another or are the usual generic
motherboard "sound cards" good enough . . ?

Thanks,

Brian w3rv

Old March 20th 07, 11:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On 2007-03-20, Brian wrote:
I'm interested in getting into HF PSK-31 and RTTY. And maybe I'll try
some of the other sound card based modes too. Comes the question of
how I should configure the dedicated ham station Winbox. Is there
anything to be gained by spending money on say some Creative Labs or
Turtle Beach sound card or another or are the usual generic
motherboard "sound cards" good enough . . ?

Kelly:

The quality of your sound card beyond a SoundBlaster 16 is wasted.
The effort is better spent in a better quality audio interface between
the radio and the PC. The transmit and receive audio MUST be
transformer isolated for best results. I also like to keep D.C. off of
the transformer windings by using a .1 uf series capacitor. Your PC is
ground referenced to the A.C. main electrical system and your radio is
ground referenced to something else. Use a lot of ferrite beads to keep
the RF out of the audio and the use of transformer coupling cleans up
the rest.

Tom

--
Public Keys:
PGP KeyID = 0x5F22FDC1
Old March 20th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Brian wrote:
I'm interested in getting into HF PSK-31 and RTTY. And maybe I'll try
some of the other sound card based modes too. Comes the question of
how I should configure the dedicated ham station Winbox. Is there
anything to be gained by spending money on say some Creative Labs or
Turtle Beach sound card or another or are the usual generic
motherboard "sound cards" good enough . . ?

Thanks,

Brian w3rv

If the card or on-board system is "SoundBlaster Compatible," and made
within the last 5 or 6 years, it should be OK. I have used PSK with many
computers and cards and have never had one that didn't work because of
the sound card. Put your money toward a good interface. It's hard to
beat the RigBlaster line. I have never used one, but I have heard good
reports about the the MFJ interfaces.

Tom KD6EVM
Old March 24th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mar 19, 7:43 pm, "Brian" wrote:

OK, any decent "sound card" will do. Thank you gentlemen.

Brian w3rv