Old March 24th 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.mods,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur

Default Question re TL 922 amplifier

On Mar 24, 11:45�am, "bob.martin" wrote:
Dear All,

My kenwood TL922 has developed a strange fault. *When I switch it on (via an
Ameritron Soft Start module) I get a negative reading on the Ig meter
of -50mA and a positive reading of around +100mA on the Ip meter with no key
down.

Keying the amp has no effect and the relay does not energise. *I have
checked the ALC and relay connectors and the coaxial cables

I've tried starting it directly bypassing the soft start box and this has
made no difference. * Obviously I do not leave it on for more than a few
seconds as there is clearly a fault. *I have had the covers off and can see
nothing untoward in terms of burnt components and there is no burning smell
and the fuses don't blow. *Also both valves (3-500zs) light up.

Any suggestions as to what may be up before a trip over to Castle, has
anyone else seen similar

thanks

Jim G7NKS

Old March 24th 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.mods,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur

On Mar 24, 12:05�pm, wrote:
On 24 Mar 2007 09:00:52 -0700, "Dloyd Lavies"
wrote:

On Mar 24, 11:45?am, "bob.martin" wrote:
Dear All,

My kenwood TL922 has developed a strange fault. *hen I switch it on (via an
Ameritron Soft Start module) I get a negative reading on the Ig meter
of -50mA and a positive reading of around +100mA on the Ip meter with no key
down.

Keying the amp has no effect and the relay does not energise. * have
checked the ALC and relay connectors and the coaxial cables

I've tried starting it directly bypassing the soft start box and this has
made no difference. *Obviously I do not leave it on for more than a few
seconds as there is clearly a fault. * *have had the covers off and can see
nothing untoward in terms of burnt components and there is no burning smell
and the fuses don't blow.

lso both valves (3-500zs) light up.

Any suggestions as to what may be up before a trip over to Castle, has
anyone else seen similar

thanks

Jim G7NKS

that was certainly an insightfull reply Dloydhttp://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Mark, Your desperate pathetic plea for attention is not granted.

The Yahoo amps board is a good place to ask for info about improvement
mods for the TL 922.

Dloyd

Old March 24th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.mods,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur

Dloyd Lavies wrote:

Jim, I agree with Antonio's diagnosis of a shorted tube. However, you
can also post at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ham_amplifiers/

The Yahoo amps board is a good place to ask for info about improvement
mods for the TL 922.

I'd also recommend the amps reflector. There are a lot of very
knowledgeable people on there.

ARRL membership = $39 (~£20)
RSGB membership = £44

Don't let them rip you off any more.
Do the right thing, resign from the RSGB today.

The RSGB said Radio Amateurs were a threat to national security!
Is this the type of organisation you want to represent you?
Old March 25th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.mods,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.misc,uk.radio.amateur

Default be adivised this a areply to known theif and cyber stalker