Old April 5th 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Suppliers of Portable radios .....

Anyone know of good suppliers of Handheld units ? Need these with
earpeice and voice activation for use in fugitive recovery.

Old April 5th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
In article .com,
(known to some as Photorider06) scribed...

Anyone know of good suppliers of Handheld units ? Need these with
earpeice and voice activation for use in fugitive recovery.

Unless you plan to have every single one of your team members get
their amateur radio license, or you have authorization from a public
safety agency to use their frequencie(s), I would suggest FRS radios.

With that said: I don't believe that Motorola is a good choice
right now. Overpriced, bad support after the sale, and steadily-
declining quality in terms of getting spare parts. They also sold off
their major service depot to another company, who promptly relocated it
to Guadalajara.

I would, assuming the proper licensing, suggest you have a look at
Kenwood, M/A-Com, or Icom.

I suspect that unless the fugitive hunting is done as a charitable
event, that Amateur radio wouldn't be allowable as a useage anyhow.

I envision that you would want GMRS radios, and probably would want to
use a repeater for reliability. I don't know if mobile repeaters are
allowed, but would allow you to put an antenna up a little higher on say
a Van, then transmit with a little more power to the "satellite radios
carried by the bounty hunters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General..._Radio_Service

is a good place to get started.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Better suppliers Marty Shortwave 1 October 21st 05 01:17 AM
Better suppliers Bob Miller Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 11:26 PM
Better suppliers junius Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 06:31 AM
Better suppliers [email protected] Shortwave 0 October 20th 05 04:26 AM
Portable DAB Radios Callum Broadcasting 0 October 12th 04 03:29 AM