Old October 16th 03, 12:37 AM
Mark

Default Electrolytic caps question

I have obtained some surplus linear regulated power supplies. The
date code for the electrolytic caps in the filter section are late
1993. I've not powered these
supplies up. I know that these caps have a limited life. These caps
are also
harder to come by due to the proliferation of switch mode power
supplies and
their lower values. Any ideas/suggestions to minimize stress to these
caps
or even rejuvinate, if possible, these caps. I'm aware of inrush
current at
supply turn on and I plan to minimize that. Any other ideas or
suggestions???
Old October 16th 03, 12:41 AM
Scott Dorsey

Mark wrote:
I have obtained some surplus linear regulated power supplies. The
date code for the electrolytic caps in the filter section are late
1993. I've not powered these
supplies up. I know that these caps have a limited life. These caps
are also
harder to come by due to the proliferation of switch mode power
supplies and
their lower values. Any ideas/suggestions to minimize stress to these
caps
or even rejuvinate, if possible, these caps. I'm aware of inrush
current at
supply turn on and I plan to minimize that. Any other ideas or
suggestions???

You have three choices:

1. Bring the things up slowly, on a variac. This allows the capacitors
to slowly reform.

2. Bring the things up for a while with a 60W light bulb in series, then
apply full power. Same basic principle, if you don't have a variac, but
slower.

3. Apply full power. If any caps blow, they were marginal and should have
been replaced anyway.

I tend to be a fan of method #3, but I can understand the arguments in favor
of the first two. But caps that are only a decade old? Don't sweat it.
--scott

Old October 16th 03, 04:37 PM
Ken Finney

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
[...]

Many manufacturers of aluminum electrolytic caps recommend they be reformed
after 18 months of storage, others say 2 years, and others say 3 years.

Old October 17th 03, 06:25 PM
Tony Angerame

Much has been written and published on the net on this topic but just
to add my two cents and perhaps summarize. I've had good luck with a
variable HV DC supply. I bring up the voltage, albeit slowly, while
monitoring current with a microamp meter. It's nice to watch the
current gradually go lower, then I step up about another 50 volts or
so then watch it go lower again until I reach the rated voltage of the
cap. I let it "Cook" there for awhile then use the cap. There's a
formula for the "Cook Time" based on the age of the cap. Do a net
search for that one. Someone in G land I think. I have restored and
recapped a lot of older HF radios this way and it has saved me a
tremendous amount of cash.The new Electrolytics are a lot
smaller/better but we're talking about five bucks each here. I wait
till they show up at the Flea Market or local surplus outlet then
scoop em up for .25 each. Oooops! Maybe I shouldn't have told you
about that.

Tony WA6LZH

Old October 18th 03, 03:08 PM
Fred McKenzie

I've had good luck with a
variable HV DC supply. I bring up the voltage, albeit slowly, while
monitoring current with a microamp meter. It's nice to watch the
current gradually go lower, then I step up about another 50 volts or
so then watch it go lower again until I reach the rated voltage of the
cap. I let it "Cook" there for awhile then use the cap.

Tony & Mark-

I consider ten-year-old electrolytics to still be "new", and of a newer
generation than those that established a reputation for going bad when first
powered-up after being in storage. Its those thirty and forty-year-old
capacitors I worry about!

I have an old Eico capacitor checker with the "electric eye" indicator for
leakage. The voltage is also somewhat current limited. Years ago when I was
working with it, I would connect an old electrolytic to it and raise the
voltage until the eye just closed. Depending on capacitance and leakage, the
eye would slowly open. I would then continue raising voltage and waiting for
the eye to open, until the rated voltage was reached, typically 450 volts.

This is equivalent to forming a capacitor by using the variac or series light
bulb. I never worried about cooking it, since there was obviously no leakage
soon after full voltage was reached. I think you will find those that still
have leakage after several minutes, are beyond help. (Obviously ten mfd will
charge a thousand times more quickly than 10,000 mfd.)

I think I'll go reform the capacitors in my capacitor checker!

73, Fred, K4DII

Old October 18th 03, 03:08 PM
Fred McKenzie

[...]

FA===SET OF 2 ELECTROLYTIC CAPS FOR VALVE AMP. 220uF 400V Steve H Boatanchors 0 December 28th 04 06:06 PM
FA===SET OF 2 ELECTROLYTIC CAPS FOR VALVE AMP. 220uF 400V Steve H Boatanchors 0 December 28th 04 06:06 PM
FS Electrolytic Caps K8bvj Boatanchors 0 November 15th 03 01:13 AM
Electrolytic caps question Mark Boatanchors 6 October 17th 03 06:25 PM
Electrolytic caps question Mark Boatanchors 0 October 16th 03 12:37 AM