RadioBanter

-   -   Can anybody suggest a HF manpack set with low power consumption (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/122394-can-anybody-suggest-hf-manpack-set-low-power-consumption.html)

Steve Kelly July 28th 07 11:20 AM

Can anybody suggest a HF manpack set with low power consumption

Hi,
I'm trying to find a set that has a low standby current.The Yaesu FT817
seems to fit the bill but the standby current seems to let it down sadly
(250mA squelched and 450mA on receive).I have a 2 meter handheld with all
the bells and whistles (fm admittedly) which draws 10mA squelched.I would
appreciate any comments and suggestions. - Steve

Ed July 28th 07 05:37 PM

Can anybody suggest a HF manpack set with low power consumption

I'm trying to find a set that has a low standby current.The Yaesu FT817
seems to fit the bill but the standby current seems to let it down sadly
(250mA squelched and 450mA on receive).I have a 2 meter handheld with all
the bells and whistles (fm admittedly) which draws 10mA squelched.I would
appreciate any comments and suggestions. - Steve

Comparing the FT817 to your HT is not a fair comparison. Your Ht
has far less circuitry, probably has a power save feature, and many other
limitations that the FT817 does not have. The FT817 is a full featured HF
radio.

For a good assessment of the FT817 current draw, and some ways to
lessen it, go to: http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_pwr.html

Ed K7AAT

Bob Miller July 30th 07 03:13 AM

Can anybody suggest a HF manpack set with low power consumption

try the Elecraft web site