Old July 28th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Can anybody suggest a HF manpack set with low power consumption

Hi,
I'm trying to find a set that has a low standby current.The Yaesu FT817
seems to fit the bill but the standby current seems to let it down sadly
(250mA squelched and 450mA on receive).I have a 2 meter handheld with all
the bells and whistles (fm admittedly) which draws 10mA squelched.I would
appreciate any comments and suggestions. - Steve

Old July 28th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

I'm trying to find a set that has a low standby current.The Yaesu FT817
seems to fit the bill but the standby current seems to let it down sadly
(250mA squelched and 450mA on receive).I have a 2 meter handheld with all
the bells and whistles (fm admittedly) which draws 10mA squelched.I would
appreciate any comments and suggestions. - Steve

Comparing the FT817 to your HT is not a fair comparison. Your Ht
has far less circuitry, probably has a power save feature, and many other
limitations that the FT817 does not have. The FT817 is a full featured HF
radio.

For a good assessment of the FT817 current draw, and some ways to
lessen it, go to: http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_pwr.html

Ed K7AAT
Old July 30th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

try the Elecraft web site

Can anyone suggest some good stations? David Norris Shortwave 1 December 5th 04 03:59 AM
Suggest me a scanner Jim Scanner 15 May 11th 04 04:06 AM
Please suggest small handhelds for Europe gogonegro Equipment 0 February 24th 04 02:13 PM
Please suggest small handhelds for Europe gogonegro Equipment 0 February 24th 04 02:13 PM
Suggest a linear to boost 0.5 watts to 5 watt level. Ashhar Farhan Homebrew 0 September 21st 03 07:52 PM