Old November 10th 03, 08:39 PM
Paul Clay

Default Any Good Solid State XCVR for AM?

Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

Old November 10th 03, 11:12 PM
Dan/W4NTI

There are lots of folks running the 'rice boxes'. I can attest by using the
following rigs to got results.

Yaesu FT-101 series.
Kenwood Twins

Newer rigs such as the FT-1000MP does fine also, and the new Kenwood TS-2000
sound good.

Running AM is fun, but you don't get the 'full effect' unless it smells
funny and once in a while catches fire.

"Real radios glow in the dark"

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 10th 03, 11:17 PM
Brenda Ann

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
link.net...
There are lots of folks running the 'rice boxes'. I can attest by using

the
following rigs to got results.

Yaesu FT-101 series.
Kenwood Twins

Newer rigs such as the FT-1000MP does fine also, and the new Kenwood

TS-2000
sound good.

Running AM is fun, but you don't get the 'full effect' unless it smells
funny and once in a while catches fire.

Or get a nice arc from the PA plates to the cage (or, occasionally, the
operator.)

Old November 10th 03, 11:20 PM
Bob Stein

"Paul Clay" wrote in message

Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

It may be fun, but it is also inconsiderate unless on a little used
band. It takes up at least twice the spectrum of an SSB signal, and
possibly more - hardly necessary given crowded band conditions. Not to
mention the off-frequency heterodynes.

Just two cents worth from an old timer (licensed for nearly 65 years)
and brought up on AM.

Bob, W6NBI

--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address

Old November 11th 03, 12:23 AM
Paul Clay

"Paul Clay" wrote in message

Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

It may be fun, but it is also inconsiderate unless on a little used
band. It takes up at least twice the spectrum of an SSB signal, and
possibly more - hardly necessary given crowded band conditions. Not to
mention the off-frequency heterodynes.

Just two cents worth from an old timer (licensed for nearly 65 years)
and brought up on AM.

Bob, W6NBI

I agree that it's important to be considerate, Bob. But even today, I think
there's still room for playing around with AM, especially if one is carefull
about the time of operation, the amount of power used (I'm planning on using 40
watts output or so) and radiating a good signal. No question that SSB uses less
spectrum for voice communications, but, if one is willing to forgo the enjoyment
(dare I say fun) of operating phone, one could conserve even more spectrum by
operating CW exclusively. Obviously there's a trade-off involved (between the
extra "utility", broadly defined, of higher fidelity signals and the extra,
double as you say, bandwidth consumed), but, so long as operators exhibit good
judgment and courtesy, I think the community's enjoyment of the hobby is
maximized by giving people the choice of operating AM.

- Paul, N6LQ

Old November 11th 03, 12:57 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Paul Clay" wrote in message

Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

It may be fun, but it is also inconsiderate unless on a little used
band. It takes up at least twice the spectrum of an SSB signal, and
possibly more - hardly necessary given crowded band conditions. Not to
mention the off-frequency heterodynes.

Just two cents worth from an old timer (licensed for nearly 65 years)
and brought up on AM.

Bob, W6NBI

--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address

Your arguement is invalid. Considering modern day receivers with DSP, notch
filters, and crystal/DSP IF filters. You don't hear the other sideband, or
the carrier.....if you know how to use them that is.

Dan/W4NTI