Old October 22nd 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default D-104 with Drake

Does anybody know if the Astatic D-104 will work with an old Drake T4X-C?
What are your thoughts on amplified vs. unamplified D-104 for this use.
Thanks, K1HL

--
HARRY LEISER
Leiser Realty

ph. (860)447-1122 cell. (860)334-7733 FAX (860)442-7900

Old October 23rd 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Harry Leiser" ) writes:
Does anybody know if the Astatic D-104 will work with an old Drake T4X-C?
What are your thoughts on amplified vs. unamplified D-104 for this use.
Thanks, K1HL

The issue is whether the microphone output impedance matches the rig's
input impedance. The D-104 is high impedance, it had a crystal cartridge
though I don't know if that changed with time; I don't know what the input
of the Drake is.

A lot of those built in preamps were about adapting to different rigs.
If the rig has low(er) impedance, then a single transistor is one
way to give the microphone a high impedance load while a low impedance
output for the rig.

If you simply load down a high impedance microphone, you'll end
up little output and a distorted frequency response.

Michael VE2BVW
Old October 23rd 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The issue is whether the microphone output impedance matches the rig's
input impedance. The D-104 is high impedance, it had a crystal cartridge
though I don't know if that changed with time;

There were two versions of the D-104. The most common one used a crystal
element. The other was a ceramic element. I once called Astatic and asked
if I should be using the ceramic instead of the crystal ones because
of my voice (lots of bass). The engineer I spoke to told me that
the expression "crystal clear" also applied to their microphones.

The ceramic elements were used in high noise environments and were
relatively rare.

I also have their 10-DA microphone, which uses the same stand but
has a dynamic element. They have been called the "best SSB" microphone
by many people.

I don't know what the input of the Drake is.

You should probably ask on the Drake list, but AFAIK they are
high impedence and should work fine.

Lots of things can go wrong with microphones, the elements can age,
there may be hidden damage (or incompetent repairs), etc. It would
be a good idea to check to see if there is an amp in the base, and
if so, you might as well use it.

If not, I would try it without one.

Obviously before you use it for that once in a lifetime contact,
try it out on the air and see what people say.

You may not like the way it performs. I find they have too
much high frequency response and not enough low. My wife, who
has a much higher voice, has far better results.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/