Old November 4th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Two transceivers one power supply

All

I have just purchased a second radio - an old Icom IC-751 to sit next
to my modern Icom 706 MkIIG.

I was powering my Icom 706 with a SEC-1223 power supply which is a 23A
13.8V Switch Mode Power Supply (Input 230V AC, Output 13.8V DC,
Output current 23A continuous (25A peak) Thermostatic Fan cooled).

The new radio looks like it needs a power supply that can provide 20A
peak.

The question is can i run both radios off the same power supply
provided i dont transmit on both at the same time or will i need to
buy a second power supply for the new radio?

Thanks

Andy

Old November 4th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

"Andiroo" wrote in message
ups.com...
All

I have just purchased a second radio - an old Icom IC-751 to sit next
to my modern Icom 706 MkIIG.

I was powering my Icom 706 with a SEC-1223 power supply which is a 23A
13.8V Switch Mode Power Supply (Input 230V AC, Output 13.8V DC,
Output current 23A continuous (25A peak) Thermostatic Fan cooled).

The new radio looks like it needs a power supply that can provide 20A
peak.

The question is can i run both radios off the same power supply
provided i dont transmit on both at the same time or will i need to
buy a second power supply for the new radio?

Thanks

Andy

As long as the radios do not draw more current than the power supply can put
out there is no reason not to.

I have an Astron 50 amp supply and have a 706, 746 and a couple of vhf/uhf
rigs hooked to it.
As I have plenty of current reserve I have even transmitted on two of them
at one time.

Old November 5th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

The receiver current on the 706 is 2-amps. Assuming the 751 is
somewhere around there you should be fine having them both on at the
same time for receiving. Just be sure you don't accidently transmit
with both at the same time.

Dick

Old November 5th 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

I have a 718 and a Yaesu 897D fed into an Aston 35M as we speak. As
long as I do not transmit simultaneously, everythng has been working
fine. The two separately on transmit pull on 22 amps each. I have
had no problems.