Old November 9th 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Need Info: Pure Sine Wave Inverters and Radio Noise

I have a cheap Wal Mart so-called "modified sine wave" inverter that puts
out hash and noise all across the HF band. I would like to replace it
with a pure sine wave inverter that supposedly solves that problem.
However I have read some stories about pure sine wave inverters that still
put out noise across the HF band, even if they are located 30 feet away
from the operating position (mine will be located on another floor and
about 25 feet away).

I really can't afford to spend the money on a pure sine wave inverter only
to find out later that it's unacceptably noisy (meaning, anything above
about S2 or so). So, I'm hoping that one of you has been there and done
that and knows of a good pure sine wave inverter that's quiet.

The inverter will be located in the middle of the house, in the basement,
connected to a 220 amp hour battery. I have wired an AC outlet in the
shack, down at one end of the house, to a 110V plug down near the inverter.

Equipment I plan to run from this includes: Hammarlund HQ-180A receiver,
Heath Marauder transmitter, Kenwood TS-940S, Yaesu FT-1000, and a 60-watt
table lamp. Rarely if ever will all of that be running at once (and never
will more than one transmitter be transmitting at the same time) but if I
want to run it all at once for a while it needs to be able to handle it.
So, I figured maybe a 1000-watt inverter.

Any info gratefully appreciated...

Old November 9th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote:

[...]

As I live out in the Alaskan Bush, generate ALL my own power, run
my cabin off a Battery/Inverter System when the genset is not running,
and have been in the MF/HF Radio Business more than 40 Years, I have
a Realtime prospective on this question.

I started out with a Trace 2624 Inverter powering my cabin 20 years ago.
It was at the time one of the more expensive MSW Inverter/Charger systems
and served me very well for about 5 years. The Inverer/Battery is
located about 25 Ft from the cabin, in the Powerhousse, which also
houses the twin 20Kw Diesel Gensets, that are the Primary Power for
my operation. The Trace 2624 did raise the noise level, on MF/HF
about 1.5 S-Units, on my twin Kenwood TS-690's, from 1.2 S-Units
to 2.7 S-Units. As you can imagine the local noise is rarely a problem,
when compared with the Atmospheric Noise here, and compared to our
City Dwelling Friends, it doesn't even get in their BallPark.

When the Trace SW Series Inverters were first introduced, I purchased
one of the first SW-4024's, with the idea to lower my local noise,
and get back that 1.5 S-Units of Dynamic Range. After the installation
was completed, it turned out that I regained about .9 S-Units, which
I felt was respecable, considering that all the Power wires from the
PowerHouse to the Cabin, are overhead, and not buried, and are directly
under the MF/HF Antenna Farm.

I think you should PLAN on buying one of the Higher End, SineWave
inverter Systems, as these seem to have a much lower ambinat noise
output than the cheaper units. Trace still builds the SW Series
Inverters, and I have seen some impressive OutBack Power Systems
that other MF/HF Operators have installed with very little locally
generated noise. You could also build a Faraday Cage for you
Inverter/Battery Encloser, and use Noise Filters on the Input and Output
Power Lines from the Encloser, which would greatly reduce any locally
generated noise from your Power system.

Bruce in alaska who still uses the 2624 and the 4024 20 years later
--
add path before @