Old January 17th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Noise reduction boxes

In the beginning, long long ago, there was a guy living on the Isle of Man
who designed a noise reduction box that worked by using a small sense
antenna to pick up more noise than signal and phasing it to cancel the noise
coming in on the "real" antenna.

This was reverse engineered by Doug DeMaw, who wound up making a little PC
Board to do this job and selling a few of them. Coming into the present
century, MFJ made a similar package and marketed it, but apparently no
longer does. (Or else they hide it in their catalog very well).

If anyone can tell me their part number of that unit, I'd be forever
indebted, and would venture forth and try to locate one to give to a friend
in Wales who is currently suffering the demise of his top band operation due
to local interference. Better yet, if anyone reading this has one that
they'd like to part with for money, I'd like to be introduced.

Regards
W4ZCB

Old January 17th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Harold E. Johnson wrote:
[...]

Here's an MFJ version,
http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...uctid=MFJ-1026

I have a Timewave ANC-4,
http://www.timewave.com/support/ANC-4/anc4.html

I don't know how the two compare but I'm satisfied with the ANC-4, it
doesn't completely null the noise but it makes a big difference in how
well I can copy. I use a 20' piece of wire for the sense antenna.

Good luck to your friend, best wishes to you,
Galen, W8LNA
Old January 17th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

There is also the: JPS ANC-4 Noise Canceller
http://www.jps.com/downloads/support/anc4man.pdf

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old January 17th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:52:02 GMT, "Harold E. Johnson"
wrote:

[...]

you didn't say what freqs you wanted it for ........... the JPS ANC-4
works between 500 khz to 80 mhz.

I 've used several of these from time to time and they work only "
somewhat " OK. when tuned to eliminate severe noise , they will
reduce or clip the signal as well. I think you will feel they are a
bit pricy for what they deliver .........

just my experience with these ...........
Old January 18th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

gwatts wrote:

I have a Timewave ANC-4,
http://www.timewave.com/support/ANC-4/anc4.html

They're the same, from
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...amps/0094.html
'The ANC-4 was originally developed by JPS, but is now being
manufactured exclusively by Timewave.'

I got mine on eBay.

Old January 18th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

[...]

Well, "Top Band" is usually considered to be 1.8-2.0 MHz . I too have used
them before, (Made one of DeMaws) and for the need will work just fine.

Tnx the URL.

W4ZCB

DSP noise reduction Steve Shortwave 5 February 11th 07 10:33 PM
FA: JPS NIR-12 DUAL DSP NOISE/INTERFERENCE REDUCTION RPK Equipment 0 November 30th 04 01:32 AM
NOISE REDUCTION VITEL Homebrew 2 February 6th 04 11:58 PM
NOISE REDUCTION VITEL Homebrew 0 February 6th 04 11:26 PM
wtd-"Radio" Noise Reduction Ralph Cameron Boatanchors 1 February 3rd 04 06:52 AM