Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Kenwood TM-455E strange behaviour

Hi,

the front panel of the TM-455E UHF transciever I have here sometimes shuts off,
and the panel buttons stop working, but the transciever doesn't stop completely
and all microphone buttons work (PTT, vfo-mr...). I even think it'd be possible
to have a QSO.

The power button is on the front panel, so it's impossible to shut off or power
on the TX when the panel fails.

I suppose there's a problem with the front panel, because sometimes the LCD
displays an incomplete screen (I've seen it show the right frequency, but
without punctuation nor other symbols, or nothing at all, or all segments
half-on). Most of the time, it blanks completely.

Touching the PCB of the front panel has an influence on the behaviour (mainly
creating the problem, seldom making it work again), but I couldn't find any
specific component causing trouble. I've also checked for bad solder points, but
couldn't find any.

At first, I suspected the cable between the TX and the front panel was at fault,
but moving it doesn't change anything. I will have to check with another cable
anyway.

I'd be thankful for any hints or advice.

Matthias HB9EGM