Old March 28th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default icom ic-w32a vs. others

This is my first radio purchase so I have a few questions. I have a
friend that swears by the ICOM IC-w32a. I've looked at it and it does
seem like a pretty robust radio. Heck, it must be if ICOM put it back
into production after stopping once before.

But, I'm interested in knowing if there are others out there with the
same capabilities. I'm really interested in the fact that it can xmit
on 440MHz and received on 70 cm, at least I think it can, since I want
to use this for talking over satellites.

Any ideas about other radios I should look at would be most
appreciated.

Thanks.

-brad w.
Old March 28th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mar 27, 9:56 pm, Ron in Radio Heaven
But, I'm interested in knowing if there are others out there with the
same capabilities. I'm really interested in the fact that it can xmit
on 440MHz and received on 70 cm, at least I think it can,

Isn't 440MHz and 70cm the same band? What's the big deal in that?

Ron W4RON

oops... you're right..

I meant to say 2m/440 MHz..

-brad w.
Old March 28th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

They are very popular with satellite operators, due to the full duplex
capability. Currently if you want full duplex, not just split band
operation, your only real choice is the Kenwood TH-7, which has a lot
of APRS functions as well.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Old March 29th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Mar 28, 7:37 am, Alan WA4SCA wrote:
They are very popular with satellite operators, due to the full duplex
capability. Currently if you want full duplex, not just split band
operation, your only real choice is the Kenwood TH-7, which has a lot
of APRS functions as well.

So I looked at the Kenwood Th-D7A like you mentioned. I noticed the
manual says it's not capable of doing less than 438 Mhz.

Is this a hard rule with this device? Because a lot of the satellites
that I want to work are a little bit less than this. Like AO-51 which
has a downlink of 435.300 MHz.

As I've said, this is my first radio purchase so I just want to make
sure it will do what I want.

Any help is most appreciated.

-brad w.
Old March 29th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 07:57:37 -0700, Dick wrote:

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:05:20 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 28, 7:37 am, Alan WA4SCA wrote:
They are very popular with satellite operators, due to the full duplex
capability. Currently if you want full duplex, not just split band
operation, your only real choice is the Kenwood TH-7, which has a lot
of APRS functions as well.

So I looked at the Kenwood Th-D7A like you mentioned. I noticed the
manual says it's not capable of doing less than 438 Mhz.

Is this a hard rule with this device? Because a lot of the satellites
that I want to work are a little bit less than this. Like AO-51 which
has a downlink of 435.300 MHz.

As I've said, this is my first radio purchase so I just want to make
sure it will do what I want.

Any help is most appreciated.

-brad w.

According the the QST reviews of both the TH-D7A (Aug 1999) and the
TH-D7A(G) (Apr 2008) the transmitter frequency coverage as measured in
their lab is 430-450 MHz. Kenwood shows 438-450 MHz for both of them.

Dick - W6CCD

Just to verify the above, I set my TH-D7A(G) at 430 MHz and checked
the output against my HP frequency counter. No problem transmitting
at that frequency. I also verified that 430 is the bottom of the
range.

Dick - W6CCD

Icom IC-W32A Wanderer Swap 1 December 2nd 03 02:03 PM
FS: ICOM W32A Tom Seabury Swap 0 November 17th 03 11:19 PM
FS: Icom W32A plus everything!! Tom Seabury Swap 0 November 14th 03 03:53 PM
FS: Icom IC-W32A Wanderer Swap 0 October 26th 03 02:19 AM
Icom IC-W32A Lewis Stephens Swap 0 September 14th 03 03:27 AM