Old December 16th 03, 09:07 PM
VHFRadioBuff

Default How to clean battery contacts in HT's?

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to clean battery acid off
of the metal battery contacts in an HT.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Old December 16th 03, 11:44 PM
Gary S.

On 16 Dec 2003 21:07:34 GMT, pamme (VHFRadioBuff)
wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to clean battery acid off
of the metal battery contacts in an HT.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com

A paste of baking soda may help, as it will neutralize the acid and is
mildly abrasive. Rinse or swab well.

An eraser will help in buffing the contacts.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old December 16th 03, 11:52 PM
Brenda Ann

wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to clean battery

acid off
of the metal battery contacts in an HT.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com

A paste of baking soda may help, as it will neutralize the acid and is
mildly abrasive. Rinse or swab well.

An eraser will help in buffing the contacts.

Aren't most portable batteries made from metal salts (alkaline,
nickel/cadmium, nickel/metal hydride), and therefor bases, instead of acids?
(please correct if I'm wrong)

In which case, vinegar or a mild boric acid solution would neutralize the
alkali.

Old December 17th 03, 12:50 AM
Gary S.

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:52:01 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Gary S." Idontwantspam@net wrote in message
.. .

A paste of baking soda may help, as it will neutralize the acid and is
mildly abrasive. Rinse or swab well.

An eraser will help in buffing the contacts.

Aren't most portable batteries made from metal salts (alkaline,
nickel/cadmium, nickel/metal hydride), and therefor bases, instead of acids?
(please correct if I'm wrong)

In which case, vinegar or a mild boric acid solution would neutralize the
alkali.

I thought of that as I pressed the send key. In any case, the baking
soda is only mildly alkaline. White vinegar would be somewhat stronger
an acid.