Old December 31st 03, 06:55 AM
Tim Wescott

Default New Batteries for Older Handhelds

I'm working on getting active again, and I need batteries for my two
handhelds. I've got a Yaesu FT-23R and an ICOM 24-AT. I've found batteries
on the web for the FT-23R, but I've not had success with the 24-AT. I see
packs for the ICOM 2-AT, which I believe would fit the 24-AT, but I'd like
to _know_ before I plunk down a whole bunch of $$.

Can anyone give me recommendations on which battery vendors are good, which
ones would have packs to fit my radios, and where to go for that pesky ICOM
battery set?

Thanks all.

Tim Wescott
KG7LI

Old December 31st 03, 06:58 AM
Brenda Ann

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I'm working on getting active again, and I need batteries for my two
handhelds. I've got a Yaesu FT-23R and an ICOM 24-AT. I've found

batteries
on the web for the FT-23R, but I've not had success with the 24-AT. I see
packs for the ICOM 2-AT, which I believe would fit the 24-AT, but I'd like
to _know_ before I plunk down a whole bunch of $$.

Can anyone give me recommendations on which battery vendors are good,

which
ones would have packs to fit my radios, and where to go for that pesky

ICOM
battery set?

Icom IC-2SAT batteries are the same as for an IC-24AT. I think the 2AT may
be a different radio. Either way, a great source for replacements for most
Icom radios is Sunn Battery (www.sunnbattery.com)

Old December 31st 03, 11:04 AM
Mark Russo

Hi, Look into W&W batteries on long island, or give them a call.
Here is their link.
http://www.minkmkt.com/w&w.htm

Good Luck and Happy New Year!!
73

Old January 1st 04, 04:02 AM
Bob M.

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I'm working on getting active again, and I need batteries for my two
handhelds. I've got a Yaesu FT-23R and an ICOM 24-AT. I've found

batteries
on the web for the FT-23R, but I've not had success with the 24-AT. I see
packs for the ICOM 2-AT, which I believe would fit the 24-AT, but I'd like
to _know_ before I plunk down a whole bunch of $$.

Do you really want to get a new battery for an old rig?

A new battery = $50 or so.
A new single-band HT = $125

If your old rigs can't do CTCSS tones, then chuck them. Most repeaters in
big cities require such tones.

Old January 1st 04, 06:31 AM
Tim Wescott

So if I spend $250 I can either get five 1000mAh battery packs for my one
single-band and one dual-band rig, or I can get two single-band rigs, each
with a little bitty 600mAh pack?

It's late and I'm being snippy. It's a good thing to point out,
particularly since any one of us can be penny wise and pound foolish. In
this case I believe the radios to be in good condition, and other than being
large enough that I can actually push the buttons they have all the modern
conveniences (including CTCSS).

Old January 2nd 04, 04:04 AM
Jason Dugas

"Bob M." wrote in message
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
I'm working on getting active again, and I need batteries for my two
handhelds. I've got a Yaesu FT-23R and an ICOM 24-AT. I've found

batteries
on the web for the FT-23R, but I've not had success with the 24-AT. I

see
packs for the ICOM 2-AT, which I believe would fit the 24-AT, but I'd

like
to _know_ before I plunk down a whole bunch of $$.

Do you really want to get a new battery for an old rig?

A new battery = $50 or so.
A new single-band HT = $125

If your old rigs can't do CTCSS tones, then chuck them. Most repeaters in
big cities require such tones.

Try the "Battery Lady"; I think she's out of California... I saw her
recommended somewhere else and ordered a new battery pack for my old Yaesu
HT. Its a small "Mom & Pop" operation, but the prices were good and I was
satisfied with the product. I think the $50 estimated above was a little
pessimistic. I got my new battery pack for ~$35, but I was able to salvage
the old battery pack case, so that saved me some money.

Jason
KB5URQ