Old January 10th 04, 11:48 PM
Brian Kelly

Default Decent Cigarette Lighter Plugs? WHERE??

Backgrounder: Where can one get a decent (i.e., robust)
general-purpose automotive cigarette lighter plug/tap? I have some
equipment which draws some amps at 12VDC. I'd like to install them in
my car on a temporary basis from time to time and use the cigarette
lighter receptacle as the power source. 2M mobile xcvrs being typical,
10 amps for a 50 watter, etc. One has a radio or whatever and one has
the specific power cable for the whatever. The problem (MY problem at
least) comes at the far end of the power cable, the widget, the plug
which connects the input end of the power cable to the volts and amps
inside the cigarette lighter receptacle. I've been to Radio Slack,
I've been to Pep Boys and I've been to HRO. The *CRAP* plugs RS and
Pep sell for this purpose are giggle-level JUNK. No surprise there of
course. As if I'll be able pull 10 amps thru the #26 wire they supply
with their plugs . . the HRO guy told me to try a hamfest. "Thanks Bob
but it's eight degrees F here, maybe I can find a warmer hamfest
tomorrow".

I have a borrowed example of a plug which should do the job in front
of me right now. The front end is typical, a spring-loaded centered
plunger for the plus side contact and two opposing leaf springs for
the ground side contacts, internal AGC fuse. At the aft end there two
nice big red/black screw-down terminal posts of the usual design which
can accomodate up to #10 wire, maybe even #8. Nicely finished, quality
piece. The only markings on it are a 5.9+mm patent number which has
been dinged and can't be read.

(A) Does anyone out there know where one can buy these?
(B) Or have a source for a similar alternative plug?
(c) Ignoring the fuse ratings how many amps can auotomotive cigarette
lighter receptacles supply before they become toast? What are the
standards/limits? Versus having to punch #8 wire thru the firewall and
do it right?

TNX a bunch, Brian W3RV