Old January 14th 04, 07:42 AM
Adam

Default Vertex FTL-2011 questions

Hello, all. I have just received a Vertex FTL-2011, four channel, VHF
mobile rig. Unfortunately, there are two versions of this radio, the "A"
version, and the "C" version, and I don't know which one I have. I have
even done an FCC ID search on the FCC website, but that didn't help (it just
listed the two versions! ). The "A" version can be programmed from 134-160
Mhz, while the "C" version can be programmed from 148-174 Mhz. I am wanting
to use this radio on the 2 meter ham band. Looking at the model number on
the side of the radio, it reads only FTL-2011. The FCC ID number is:
AKHFTL-2011

The only other number listed is the DOC T/A No. I did a search on
Google, "DOC T/A" and got nothing. There are two channels programmed into
it, and both are 158.250...even THAT does not tell me what model I have,
haha. If the frequency was above 160 Mhz, I could assume it was the "C"
version. I have a few questions regarding this rig: 1. Is it possible to
determine what particular version I have ( "A" or "C" ) ? (2) Assuming I
have the "C" version that is programmable from 148-174 Mhz, is it possible
to "stretch" the band limits to work in the two meter ham band? Finally,
(3) If this radio will not work for the two meter ham band, I would like
for it to work on the MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) band. Can this radio
be programmed for 2 watts output, or is it only able to be programmed in
multiples of 5? i.e., 5 watts, 10 watts, 15 watts, etc. I have seen
programming software from vendors that sell Vertex equipment for reasonable
prices. For some reason, Vertex is not as protective of their software as
Motorola is. I've heard it takes "an act of Congress" to (legally) purchase
Motorola RSS I know that Vertex is not as good as Motorola, but I got the
radio cheap...and the microphone (and radio, for that matter) is built like
a tank. I guess I will have to take it to a Vertex dealer to get it
programmed...as it seems you have to have an old computer to get the
software to work properly :-(

I would like to get my cousin interested in radio, and I figured MURS
would be pretty good for now. MURS max. legal output power is only 2 watts,
and I would like to try to abide by that little rule, haha. Fortunately, it
requires no license, and there is no trash-talking on that band, nor
interference (YET, on both accounts) in my cousin's town. I bought him and
my other cousin a pair of FRS 462/467 Mhz HTs that work surprisingly great,
but, there are so many other kids and even businesses that use them too
(heck, even the local fire department used channel 14 the other day, even
though they have their own frequency in the 154 Mhz band), it would be nice
to run a little bit more power, and have a quieter band.

Sorry for all the questions, and hopefully I did not post them in the
wrong newsgroup (if I did, please point me in the right direction). I
looked for Vertex and Yaesu newsgroups, but none came up. Any help you can
give me is appreciated. Thanks.