Old January 21st 04, 01:43 PM
Ken

Default Speaker for Motorola Saber -- how to use?

I bought a new Motorola 12 watt mobile amplifying speaker on eBay, no.
NSN6054A, to use in my car to amplify my non-Motorola handi-talkies.

Turns out that this speaker is part of the now discontinued Saber
radio system. It has a DB-25 connector with 7 pins present: four for
12 VDC power, 2 for audio and one for squelch.

Attempts to query Motorola have been futile.

(1) The spec sheet says it is made to work with the Vehicular Adapter,
which has a volume adjustment on it, so you don't have to change the
Saber's volume setting from what you like for pedestrian use. What
does this mean as far as what the speaker expects as the speaker level
voltage inputs? Will I be OK I set my HT volume knob to, say, half
way?

(2) The squelch signal is used to reduce power consumption. The specs
do not indicate what the squelch signal looks like. Anyone know?
Inasmuch as my HT's do not generate a squelch output (not counting an
LED being off), I want to force the speaker squelch to off.

3) Should I just rip out the fat DB-25 cable and connector and put
standard leads on the speaker? Or is there some demand for the thing
as is, so I could sell more easily it if I don't need it?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)