Old January 30th 04, 10:30 AM
David J. Windisch

Default OT, but WTB

1. Legit copy of Windows 98 First Ed., or Windows 98 SE (stand-alone, not
upgrade version)

2. Legit copy of Office 97 Professional.

Can't upgrade to XP cuz it doesn't have drivers for my ton of legacy
hardware. But, that's all right.

Don't need books -- just real M$ CDs with the real keys.

Lemme know, pls.

73, Dave, N3HE

Old January 30th 04, 10:49 AM
Brenda Ann

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=18 2

Old January 30th 04, 10:58 AM
Brenda Ann

Also try Windows ME, more stable than 98, handles most hardware without
needing mfr. drivers..

Old January 30th 04, 10:58 AM
Brenda Ann

Old January 30th 04, 01:13 PM
AA

Also try Windows ME, more stable than 98, handles most hardware without
needing mfr. drivers..

Just say "NO" to this. Our IS staff nickname for Windows ME is the "Mistake
Edition!" NOTORIOUS for having slow/poor performance on many systems. Our IS
guys either take a unit back to 98SE or up to W2K. They have over 2,000 PCs to
handle...I'll take their opinion as correct.

Stable? About as stable as a unicycle in high wind. My Dell runs alot better
w/98SE than it ever did with ME...and it was an "optimized" system for WinME.

Old January 30th 04, 01:47 PM
Topaz305RK

Have two machines running here. One with ME and the other 98SE. The 98SE is
way more stable than the ME machine. The 98SE machine is hooked up for just
radio use, running 2 printer ports and 5 serial ports plus a network card
and almost never has a problem, works really well. The ME machine is newer
with fewer components is known to choke on almost a regular basis.

If it was not such a hassle I would revert the newer machine to 98SE.

Sam

Old January 30th 04, 02:43 PM
Robert Kubichek

Brenda Ann wrote:
Also try Windows ME, more stable than 98, handles most hardware without
needing mfr. drivers..

I disagree, Win98 Se is MUCH more stable than ME, as ME's core is
basically WIn98.
Put Me one one of two identical computer setups, and 98se on another,
run them for a time, and see how many times you have to reboot ME...

This is from 25 years experience, and I have run all the versions of
Windows from the get go..

Bob N9LVU