Old April 25th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Heath HW-9 Dial Error

I bought a used HW-9 that works well except for dial accuracy. I'd
appreciate comments from other HW-9 owners with regard to accuracy of
theirs.

So far, I've found the 80 Meter heterodyne oscillator crystal is about 5
KHz off frequency. All the others are within about 1/2 KHz, which is
not significant compared to the width of the lines on the VFO dial.

Except for the 80 meter crystal problem, it appears that frequency
errors are almost entirely due to VFO tracking error. VFO frequency is
correct at 0 and 250, but as much as 10 KHz off in the middle of the
range.

One of the VFO capacitor rotor plates is bent away from an outer stator
plate. That might be the result of an earlier owner attempting to
correct the problem, or it might have come that way from Heath. Can
anyone tell me if the stock VFO capacitor plates were originally
straight (flat) or bent?

The VFO Shield is missing. If I can find some copper, I'll try to make
one, but doubt that will correct the problem.

Fred
K4DII