Old February 9th 04, 06:01 PM
Don

Default TS-940 strange problem

My TS-940 goes to a state of very little gain. For instance the noise
level on 40 meters drops and the received signals are low in
amplitude. If I make a noise click with my rotator, (just push the
brake lever button so I create a noise spike) the receiver gain
immediately comes back up. What in the world could be causing this?

Don Campbell W6QEY
Old February 12th 04, 03:12 AM
Fred McKenzie

My TS-940 goes to a state of very little gain. For instance the noise
level on 40 meters drops and the received signals are low in
amplitude. If I make a noise click with my rotator, (just push the
brake lever button so I create a noise spike) the receiver gain
immediately comes back up

Don-

This reminds me of a problem that was reported with the TS-430. According to
the report, there is a jack on the back of the radio used for connecting a
transverter. It has a built-in switch with contacts that open and/or close
when the transverter is plugged in.

The trouble is that the jack's switch contacts never get exercised if you don't
use a transverter. The contacting surfaces get oxidized or corroded ever so
slightly, resulting in exactly the problem you describe.

The transverter jack may not be common, but there was probably a mate included
along with things like fuses, when the radio was new. If you still have it or
can get one, try plugging it in and removing it several times, and see if that
doesn't help your problem by cleaning the jack's switch contacts.

73, Fred, K4DII