Old February 16th 04, 08:47 PM
Steve Wolf

Default Are Alincos Throw-Away Radios? (Finding a DJ-C5 Battery)

Can anyone suggest a source for the battery shown at
http://www.w8iz.com/ham/alinco/alinco%20battery.htm

I have two Alinco DJ-C5 radios that I use both at home for fun and at work
for monitoring business frequencies. I now need a new battery. Alinco
parts quotes the battery at $48.00. The radio is worth $150 new. The
battery represents one-third of the value of the radio.

The local and Internet ham radio battery shops do NOT have this battery.
Alternative ideas are also solicited. Obviously I don't want to carry a
bulky pack but even something less expensive that can be taped to the back
would be fine. For example, a Pentax L-LI8 pack (~$8.00!!!) could be taped
to the back of the radio. That battery is shown at the bottom of the page.
Where could I get a battery clip to allow me to easily install and remove
such a replacement? Another replacement was found on page 1130 of the
Mouser #617 catalog (part 521-7PN (at a cost of $6.72!!!)). It would fit
inside the case but would it charge properly?

I bet this Alinco battery is also used as a camera battery. The question is
how to find it.

Thanks,
Steve, W8IZ

Old February 16th 04, 09:06 PM
Ken Bessler

"Steve Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

The NP-60 battery looks like a close fit - 2-1/16x1-3/8x1/4".
It's 3.6-3.7v, 900-1100mah, depending on which one you get
(several brands). They can be found on eBay for less than $3!

The NP-60 battery is an exact fit in the Yaesu VX-2R micro
HT. Go to your local ham shop and check out the battery that
comes with the VX-2R - it might work for you.

The only problem I see is the higher capacity of the NP-60. I
don't know what the Alinco charger would do to it. Still - at
less than $3 a pop, I'd give it a try!

73's es gl de Ken KG0WX

Old February 16th 04, 09:49 PM
Bob Miller

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 14:47:39 -0500, "Steve Wolf"
wrote:

Can anyone suggest a source for the battery shown at
http://www.w8iz.com/ham/alinco/alinco%20battery.htm

I bet this Alinco battery is also used as a camera battery. The question is
how to find it.

Radio Shack sells, literally, thousands of different battery types.
Take yours to RS and see if they can match it.

Bob
k5qwg

Thanks,
Steve, W8IZ

Old February 16th 04, 11:17 PM
Eddie Haskel

Ah yes...Radio-Shack.....you have questions.....we have batteries....they
will cross referance the battery to muffler for a 61 Rambler Ambassador
wagon......good luck!.....Eddie

Old February 17th 04, 02:31 AM
Ralph Mowery

I have two Alinco DJ-C5 radios that I use both at home for fun and at work
for monitoring business frequencies. I now need a new battery. Alinco
parts quotes the battery at $48.00. The radio is worth $150 new. The
battery represents one-third of the value of the radio.

About all the HTs are that way. There are some second source battery
suppliers. Not sure if they make one for that particular radio. Also it
may be possiable to open the pack and replace the batteries.

Old February 17th 04, 06:56 AM
BDK

In article , says...
[...]

It's kind of the joke/rule of ham radio, you never, ever, buy a battery
from the company that makes the radio, no matter who makes it. They are
almost always at least double what the same battery costs anywhere else.

A friend recently bought a new HT, and had the guy on the phone add two
batteries to the radio and charger he was originally buying, without
asking the price. When the radio came, the radio and charger were
cheaper than the two batteries were! He forgot about the rule.

BDK

FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Equipment 0 February 3rd 04 08:53 AM
FS MOTOROLA RADIO'S John Equipment 0 February 3rd 04 08:53 AM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Equipment 0 January 30th 04 04:56 PM
MOTOROLA RADIOS for Sale! John Equipment 0 January 30th 04 04:56 PM
FS MOTOROLA RADIOS HT1000'S , VISAR'S ,& MAXTRAC'S John Equipment 0 January 19th 04 06:44 AM