Old February 11th 10, 11:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Location: helensville new zealand
Default Possible problems with Kenwood TS-820 mods.

Good day. I have had one of these transcievers for some years and have done
several updates and mods to it. These include the Warc bands and published
improvements to the RX front end.
Now at last 14 MHz is opening from time to time and I am working some DX on
CW and SSB. However I am beginning to suspect that the front end has either
too much RF gain, or its stability factor is poor. Basically hte receiver
gives me the impression of having a fairly noisy RF satge with too much
gain. Indeed reception is sometimes better with the RF gain backed off
somewhat even on weak log path European and US signals.
Over the years I have built several communications Rx's and have a very
wide experience of weak signal reception.
Has anyone else had similar problems with this or other rigs?
I would be very interested to hear, before I pull the front end apart and
redesign the whole thing!!!!
73's Cliff Wright ZL1BDA ex G3NIA.
Old February 23rd 10, 02:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
clifford wright wrote:

Indeed reception is sometimes better with the RF gain backed off
somewhat even on weak log path European and US signals.

Cliff-

I've noticed that a noise increase can sometimes be caused by the noise
limiter. See if it makes any difference by turning it off.

Also, intermodulation distortion from strong signals outside the band,
might be what is causing poor noise performance. Take that into
consideration if you design a new RF stage.

Fred
K4DII

Kenwood TH-G71 Mods Joel Equipment 12 November 2nd 04 08:25 PM
Kenwood TH-G71 Mods Joel Equipment 0 October 30th 04 10:36 PM
Kenwood TH-G71 Mods Joel Equipment 0 October 30th 04 10:36 PM
Kenwood 930 and 440 problems Kirk Mohror Equipment 0 January 24th 04 03:52 AM
Kenwood 930 and 440 problems Kirk Mohror Equipment 0 January 24th 04 03:52 AM