Old March 17th 04, 09:25 PM
Thierry

Default How do you define the best transceiver ?

Hi,

Survey : what do you consider as an excellent transceiver from a pure
technical side ?

I don't need that you answer me, "the RTX that suites your need, guy". I 'd
like a more technical opinion, taking in account the worst traffic
conditions.

If you like, can you give me your opinion, some clues, or even links
developing this question (NB. I haven't got QEX that could probably help).

IMHO, and very shortened, after the TX module, the RX is the most important
module of un transCV (obvious). The TX module of a transCV is quite easy to
build with few component and it has even not to be powerful (QRP). But the
receive module is by far more complex. If a TX helps you to send your signal
to the antenna, you need also an excellent RX to be able to listen to your
contact whatever the conditions.
Without speaking of the sensitivity (that I haven't discussed, looks obvious
too), an excellent receive module should thus offer a great selectivity to
remove or reduce noise and RFI and be active before the signal reaches the
detection with the less amplification as possible (using filters like
high/low cut, attn, rf gain, dsp slope, etc), excellent DSP filtering on IF
stages, and all parameters accessible in "direct access" on the front panel
instead of having to set these hundreds of values in sub-menus.
Of course you pay for it, but my question is purely technique.

Your answer will help me to complete an article I wrote about it, in which
the selectivity has still to be developed (see later at
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/qsl-transceiver.htm)

Thanks for your comments.

Thierry, ON4SKY