Old June 19th 10, 04:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default VNAs

Hi,

What is the best VNA for amateur work, and why?

I have recently made a generational leap from transmatches, grid dip
meters, Smith Charts, and wire cutting to an awareness of VNAs (Vector
Network Analyzer), e.g.,

+ http://www.members.shaw.ca/swstuff/vna.html
+ http://www.miniradiosolutions.com/

and many others.

I started looking at VNA gear - toys that combine TDRs, VSWR meters, Z
and Q meters all in one tiny box and connect to your laptop for a host
of other analyses plus Smith Charts !! And promise instant wisdom and
nirvana...

Not having seen, let alone used, one I wonder...

So this is a new frontier for me. What are your opinions (admittedly a
troll) on the "best" of class?

My research suggests:

+ Array Solutions AIM 4170 by W5BIG
+ the mRS miniVNA

The eham.net site is really very good. I copied its Analyzer page

http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/31

into a spreadsheet so that I can sort by cost, rating, number of
reviews, etc.

But analysis is only so good in the absence of actual experience ... :-)

So what do you think?

What is the best VNA for amateur work, and why?

Kind regards, 73, Andy
WA6VCT