Old March 20th 04, 03:26 PM
Tam/WB2TT

Default soldering coax shield

"krem" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello, in need of some urgent help. I am having a horibble time soldering
the shield of a coax cable to a copper pad in a circuit. I just can't get
the solder to flow on the shield. What can i do? I don't know if it
matters but the shield has the appeareance of aluminium. I"m hoping this
isn't what it is but really dont' know. Please help. Thanks in advance

Are you trying to solder RG6? Easiest fix is to go buy a piece of RG59, if
you need 75 Ohm coax, or almost any 50 Ohm coax. I gather there is no wire
braid over the Al foil.

Tam/WB2TT

Old March 21st 04, 08:53 AM
krem

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message

"krem" wrote in message
s.com...
Hello, in need of some urgent help. I am having a horibble time

soldering
the shield of a coax cable to a copper pad in a circuit. I just can't

get
the solder to flow on the shield. What can i do? I don't know if it
matters but the shield has the appeareance of aluminium. I"m hoping

this
isn't what it is but really dont' know. Please help. Thanks in advance

Are you trying to solder RG6? Easiest fix is to go buy a piece of RG59, if
you need 75 Ohm coax, or almost any 50 Ohm coax. I gather there is no wire
braid over the Al foil.

Tam/WB2TT

Thats what i found out today. That its all RG6 locally ex. homedepto
radioshack. I can't seem to find any other sources (i'm at lehigh
university in PA in case anyone is close) I only need at most 2 feet of
this. Would anyone be able to ship me some if i were to cover shipping or
think of an alternative. I have a 2.4 ghz wireless network up right now
which i need to attach a home made antenna to. Aside from the antenna and
wireless transmitter all i have right now are f-connectors and a lot of rg6.
The antenna and card are still connectorless. I"m open to any solutions
some one may have. thanks in advance

Old March 22nd 04, 03:50 AM
Jim Adney

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 08:53:50 GMT "krem"
wrote:

Thats what i found out today. That its all RG6 locally ex. homedepto
radioshack. I can't seem to find any other sources (i'm at lehigh
university in PA in case anyone is close) I only need at most 2 feet of
this. Would anyone be able to ship me some if i were to cover shipping or
think of an alternative. I have a 2.4 ghz wireless network up right now
which i need to attach a home made antenna to. Aside from the antenna and
wireless transmitter all i have right now are f-connectors and a lot of rg6.
The antenna and card are still connectorless. I"m open to any solutions
some one may have.

I'm sure I could send you several feet of RG-59 if all you need is
some 75 Ohm coax with copper braid. If you need a different impedance
I can probably come up with just about anything else that's common.

OTOH, I'm not familiar with RG-6. Is this the stuff the cable TV folks
use? Is it a braid or foil shield? If it's foil, there's usually a
copper shield drain wire that you can solder to.

Email me with your address and what you need if you need some
different coax.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

Old March 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
Bob Miller

Easiest thing would be to just order from a place like The Wireman
(see website for phone #), and ask them for a few feet of 75 ohm stuff
is easily solderable.

Bob
k5qwg

Old March 23rd 04, 01:05 AM
Tom Bruhns

I could mail you some, but there's bound to be someone closer that
could get it to you faster.

Another option: crimp on an "F" connector and solder an F socket to
the board (perhaps with short wire leads, if the frequency isn't too
high).

You can also get solder that works on aluminum, but that might well
take longer than getting coax with copper braid. BTW, I have Teflon
RG-6-type that has solderable braid (plus foil).

Cheers,
Tom

Single ground Bill Ogden Antenna 26 November 25th 04 03:47 AM
The "TRICK" to TV 'type' Coax Cable [Shielded] SWL Loop Antennas {RHF} RHF Antenna 27 November 3rd 04 01:38 PM
Coax antenna for aircraft, help. Carl J. Hixon Antenna 9 November 1st 04 04:59 PM