Old April 2nd 04, 04:20 AM
mike

Default What batteries work with the Icom IC-U12?

I'm getting conflicting reports. Some of the battery sites
claim the 13V battery is compatible.
I remember reading that even the BP-5 was too much voltage.
Which batteries will work (not smoke) my U-12?
I've got an 8-cell AA pack that I'm afraid to try.
Thanks, mike
--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

Old April 2nd 04, 05:44 AM
Gary P. Fiber

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:20:43 -0800, mike wrote:

I'm getting conflicting reports. Some of the battery sites
claim the 13V battery is compatible.
I remember reading that even the BP-5 was too much voltage.
Which batteries will work (not smoke) my U-12?
I've got an 8-cell AA pack that I'm afraid to try.
Thanks, mike

Just like the IC-2AT, BP-2/3/4/8 will be ok.
No BP-7's 13 volt battery on the U-12

I don't remember if the 10.8 volt BP-5 would work.
An 8 cell AA pack is just over 12 volts,I would not use it.

Gary K8IZ
Washington State Resident
Registered Linux User # 312991

Old April 3rd 04, 02:27 AM
M. Earle

mike wrote:

I'm getting conflicting reports. Some of the battery sites
claim the 13V battery is compatible.
I remember reading that even the BP-5 was too much voltage.
Which batteries will work (not smoke) my U-12?
I've got an 8-cell AA pack that I'm afraid to try.
Thanks, mike

I have a cheapo 8 cell pack, and it is too much for the IC-2AT, 3AT,
4AT, U12, V12 line. I jumpered a wire across two of the battery
positions, so it ends up being a 6 v pack, like the original Icom aa
pack was.

As far as nicad / nimh packs, a b3 2, 3, or 8 will definately work
with this radio.

Old April 3rd 04, 03:59 AM
Gary P. Fiber

I have a cheapo 8 cell pack, and it is too much for the IC-2AT, 3AT,
4AT, U12, V12 line. I jumpered a wire across two of the battery
positions, so it ends up being a 6 v pack, like the original Icom aa
pack was.

As far as nicad / nimh packs, a b3 2, 3, or 8 will definately work
with this radio.

Yes you never want to put anything over 10.8 volts on the 2,3 and 4AT
service. I know some have used 12 volts. I have seen many with the
final burned out because of it. Even the DC-1 battery eliminator
produces 9.6 volts.

The input ports on the BP-5A and BP-7 are for battery recharging only.
There is a little relay that splits the internal battery pack in half
for recharging once you connect DC or the wall charger to the jacks.

Hope this helps and the idea of removing two cells and shorting the
contacts so 6 cells will work is a good idea.

Old April 3rd 04, 04:20 AM
mike

Gary P. Fiber wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
I have a stack of BP4s and they seem to work. I think I've even used
a BP5 on it in the past, but not so sure.

Old May 14th 04, 03:11 AM
Michael D. Harmon

These U-12's which I'm trying to bring down to the 440 MHz band all had CM-5
battery packs on them when I got them. I even got one of the 6-battery gang
chargers in the deal!

HTH,

Mike Harmon, WB0LDJ